The IdeaA Lesson by E/Ǝnigma
Every good story starts from the ground up. THE IDEA!
So my friend asked me how I come up with my crazy story ideas. When I told her that each idea comes from a different source she was really surprised. It seems she was under the assumption that we all overdose on LSD and just start writing. My face ---> -__-
STORIES COME FROM ALL OVER. I actually have a notebook filled with all my ideas because they come randomly, I have really strange dreams and they can turn into novels. I can stare at a couple fighting (even though that is creepy) and imagine what it's about. Even though ideas come easily to me, I have heard from other writer friends that it's actually not that easy. Imagine my surprise.
If you're one of those people where Ideas don't come naturally don't worry. Here are some pointers.
1. Don't force an idea. A forced idea is crappy and will go nowhere. Don't add random things to a story like *cough cough* glitter or sparkles to make it a good story. Say no.
2. Start small. Want to write about spies but don't know what. Start there. Rome wasn't built in a day, trust me if it was possible they would have tried it.
3. Use your life. 9 times out of 10 when you read someone's writing they have sneaked in maybe 20 things from their life.
4. LIVE! Do you watch that show Castle? If not, sadness. He writes through experiencing things. I'm not saying if you're character jumps into a volcano, you do it too but if he does maybe go to Hawaii and walk on hot rock.
5. Read. I know that might seem like stealing but it's really not. Writers use some context from other books. I'm not saying while you're writing open up a book and copy it word-for-word but use your imagination while reading. zczc
6. ALSO, I'm just adding this in, determine what kind of story. Are you writing a love story (although 96% of all the books I read have love in them) an action, a thriller, a mystery, an adventure. Do you wanna do all of them? Don't do that. I'm kidding.
Well I think that's enough and plenty helpful. If you think I should continue or have ideas for getting an idea. Comment. If you hated it, comment. As the saying goes "I let my haters be my motivators." I think I'll do my next one in like a week and it'll be about the next important part of writing: The Characters. IDK about you but I think of the characters before I even tackle things like Setting, Time, and Title.
Added on July 24, 2013
Last Updated on July 31, 2013
AboutWriting is my life. It's how I express myself. It's how I will always express myself because I think words are the best gift anyone can give.... well maybe diamonds. I'm a very complicated uncompli..