Alpha Readers : Forum : Hey, what is everyone doing?

Hey, what is everyone doing?

8 Years Ago

It has been sort of quiet on here, what is everyone working on?
I set up my complete outline for my tale, and then lost all momentum.
Trying to get motivated to dig back into it.
It is too tempting to sit on the deck with the lovely summer we have had so far here.

Noel

Re: Hey, what is everyone doing?

8 Years Ago

Hi, I was just wondering what had happened to this group! I'm still not doing much but working to make my novel the best it can be.  I'll have to call it a wrap at some point, but I don't think it's at that point yet.  I'm part of a real-life writers' group now!  Since I'm so new, I just worked up the nerve to show the first chapter around.  Of course they have different reading interests and I have to find my audience.  The person who read it is definitely not it, but said the writing was "quite competent."  Maybe that's just being polite.  (Still, I am proud of the improvements.  Those first few chapters are probably very close to their final form.) 

I wish I had time for other projects, short works to hone my writing skill, but you know how it is, life gets in the way.

Happy writing to you; I'm looking forward to anything new by you.

Regards, Jen

8 Years Ago

Sorry I've been so quiet. I've been suffering clinical depression ever since my buddy Rick died. I'm not looking for sympathy, just explaining why I haven't shown my virtual face. I still check the forums every morning to see if anyone has posted anything, but my writing has been limited and I haven't posted/reviewed any chapters in ages. Sorry.

On Halloween this year, I'll be a guest-of-honor at Fangcon, which is kind'a cool, but sadly they want me to write a "Peter Pan themed short story" for the con-book and I *loathe* Peter Pan as much as Captain Hook did. I can't express the temptation I've had to spend 5k words describing how Hook would torture him. Sadly, I don't think the con staff would be pleased, so I swallow my pride and try to trudge on. My editor is encouraging on what I've shown her, but I'm still not producing much.

I've also spent a few words working on a really cute twist on Little Red Riding Hood where the wolf is an innocent cub who is being harried by a Big Bad Girl. It's really cute and my wife says she wants to illustrate it, but again, not much progress.

That's about it. I'm brewing beer this morning, so I've gotta' go check on my grains in a bit. Please post about what you're working on and we'll catch up!

Gre7g

8 Years Ago

Hi guys. I don't have a good excuse to why I'm MIA here. I'm spending most of my free time editing my novel with Kate Watts. She's really been pushing me and the story to greater heights. I can't believe how much it has improved. Otherwise, I'm writing articles and working on several non-fiction projects. I realized that I should probably build out my own platform a bit and see where that leads me. And a rather active 2-year-old and full-time job isn't helping with my free time. WC has kind of gotten the backburner. I'm also in a in-person critique group now. It's really great. I've heard a lot of horror stories with critique groups and I think I've lucked out. Plus I'm definitely not the best storyteller in the room. It presents a lot of learning opportunity. I'm going to keep in contact with you all on twitter and facebook even if I'm not as active here! You all helped me stay motivated to dust my keyboard off and get back into writing.