Ambition Poetica : Forum : Why did you star writing poetr..

Why did you start writing poetry?

13 Years Ago

Care to tell us why you started to write poems? Maybe we can get some inspiration from each other's story. Is it at all like therapy for you? Or something you do like painting or playing a musical instrument? How does it impact the way you think and feel in life in general?

Re: Why did you star writing poetry?

13 Years Ago

I initially began writing poetry because my younger brother found it amusing to find my diaries and give them to my mother to read. Caused quite a stir around the house. Over the years, writing has become cathartic. I've purged a lot of emotions from my being through both poetry and art. I think if I were to truly let it all out though, no one would be able to understand my writing, so I do tend to hold back a bit. I also tend to wait for the still small voices of my muses for inspiration. They've never failed me and I enjoy the lovely words they bring to me. If someone said I could never write another poem again, I would surely die. I am poetry. It is in every vein of my body, every muscle, ever organ, every layer of skin. Without poetry, I do not exist.

13 Years Ago

I initially wanted to write novels.  And I still have some in the pipeline.  But I found that I liked writing in between things. I wrote while I was waiting for students. Poetry found me about a year ago. In fact somewhere I think I wrote a poem about how unlikely it was that I was a poet. Go figure---

12 Years Ago

I started writing poetry last August when a friend and I were writing back and forth and we started rhyming for fun.  As I realized how good it felt to get things on my mind on paper I started having fun and trying to write something everyday.  It was also a great outlet for me to bring a little fun and silliness or to let out some frustrations to my day as I was a psychiatric nurse and the depths of some people's minds were very troubling to me in my work.  So I have continued writing and enjoy the therapy I get from it.

12 Years Ago

I began to write poetry after I started to become interested in the life and times of William Wordsworth, after I read a few of his works, I pondered a little, and declared: " Why! I think I might be able to write something!' So, I scribbled a few lines. My first work I called: " My Piece of Blue" perhaps I might post it up, it's rather shaky. Anyways, Wordsworth was the main reason I began to write. I'm always striving to make my work like his. By studying his works, it rather gives me both aspiration, and inspiration.