BiPolar Writers Group : Forum : Has the disorder skewed your w..

Has the disorder skewed your writing?

16 Years Ago

I mean, I know it's going to skew your perspective, but what about the actual mechanics of your writing? Have you ever written a piece that's taken a while to finish, and at the end been able to read through and see the ups and downs in your writing style? Or can you only write when your manic or depressed?

Some of that may seem personal, so I apologize, but I'm curious - I've noticed changes in my writing based on my moods - but mostly pertaining to content. My general flow and style never seems to be effected, but I end up working on three or four different pieces at once because I'm never sure which one I'm going to want to work on when I sit down to write - based primarily on content. Anyone else notice this?

L. Minnow

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Well, I didn't until you said something!  LOL

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

definately.... I see a link  between the 2..

Charley

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

7 years ago before I was diagnosed I would say yes the disorder did affect my writing, allot of my poems were angry and quite depressing really. Today though I would have to say that the disorder affects my daily existence and how I interact with people more than it does my writing. I think the past drug abuse problem has helped skew my writing and a little bit of the disorder may or may not affect the piece I'm writing but I will say though that it does add some depth to the pieces I write. It could also be argued that it may affect how many pieces of writing I may do that day, if I'm having an even keel day (which hasn't been lately) I'll crank out maybe 3 pieces of something all depending upon how many contest deadlines I have coming up. On a manic day it will be more, on a down day it will be less to none.