Books : Forum : What does it take to write a b..

[reply] [quote]

What does it take to write a book?

16 Years Ago

For me I think writing a book involves a lot of dedication and an endless supply of ideas. A novel needs to contain interesting characters that the selected audience can relate to and share feeling with, but that is also epic and can overcome the situation the author has created for it. A story is normally a journey of some description, either physical or emotional but either way the readers must be able to follow the plot and feel involved with it. What say you?
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I don't know if "epic" is the right word, but I think I know where you're going. I agree that writing a novel takes dedication -- to the characters, to yourself as a writer, and (once it is built) to the audience. Perhaps in that order. I find that I have numerous ideas, but I don't follow through enough. I've completed one novel and have several others bubbling inside waiting to get out. The characters keep going through the scenes I've already envisioned like some bad feedback loop and the rest is like a dream that I know I've had but I can't quite recall enough of the details to get it all back.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I have similar problems with starting a story/book, and then not following through to the end.  Either other story ideas keep popping in my head, leaving me with no choice but to listen to them ('cause they won't shut up unitl I write something down), or just life in general divert my energy and time away, and I don't get back to it.  It's a little frustrating for me.  I have been able to complete smaller projects, but no novels/books. 
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I was reading something the other day about getting into the habit of writing daily. Treat it like exercising, or getting into the habit of exercising. Start with writing 100 words a day; you don't need to edit it right now, just write it. And do it again tomorrow. And the day after that. Before long, you'll find 100 words easy to achieve, so push your self more: go for 150 words, or maybe 200. Do that every day for another week, perhaps two weeks. Then push the word count again. Perhaps you can do it while eating lunch. You can probably write more than 100 words in a sitting with no problem, but the goal here isn't the word count, it's the regimen of writing daily. You won't get a novel done quickly this way, but you'll get it done. When I've been in "writing shape," I've tried to write a page a day; 365 days later, you've got a novel -- probably finished it with a month or so to spare. Again, the point is to get into a routine.