Change the World : Forum : What did you do this week...

What did you do this week...

13 Years Ago

What did you do this week to make the world a better place?  Small things are important, too, in fact maybe they are more important because we can make small things a part of our daily lifes.    Did you write something about humanity or the environment, to make people aware?  Did you plant a native plant for the butterflies or other wildlife?  Did you compost your vegetable/fruit scraps instead of sending them to the landfill?  So many things we can do to help.   What did you do this week?  Also, what are more simple things we can do in our daily lives to make a difference.   As for me, this week I pulled some invasive plants(bufflegrass) out of a wash in the desert.  I also spread my finished compost around in my garden, returning the nutrients to the earth instead of sending them to a landfill.   I'm interested in hearing your ideas.

Re: What did you do this week...

13 Years Ago

Originally posted by Desert Dreamer
What did you do this week to make the world a better place?  Small things are important, too, in fact maybe they are more important because we can make small things a part of our daily lifes.    Did you write something about humanity or the environment, to make people aware?  Did you plant a native plant for the butterflies or other wildlife?  Did you compost your vegetable/fruit scraps instead of sending them to the landfill?  So many things we can do to help.   What did you do this week?  Also, what are more simple things we can do in our daily lives to make a difference.   As for me, this week I pulled some invasive plants(bufflegrass) out of a wash in the desert.  I also spread my finished compost around in my garden, returning the nutrients to the earth instead of sending them to a landfill.   I'm interested in hearing your ideas.

Ok... I am cleaning a piece of ground to expand my garden. I now have 3 palms, 2 bugambilla, 3 aloe, I large stretch of spearmint, and a peach tree that is blooming.
I always throw my banana peels, coffee grounds, tea bags, green things in the fridge, etc, into my plot, just out the door.
It is both environmentally appropriate, and convenient!
I rake this material around as well as removing the ever returning dogdoo. (the dogs like to poop near the spearmint, you see.)??
if the soil ph's good, april will see lines of onions taters and stuff.

I am also encouraging others to think, using positive reasoning to do so.
Kids, I have noticed, are ready to get out of the house if you can present a concept like this in a way that they can appreciate more than miley cyrus or carthief2000.  they seem to respond to attention, and I have seen them actually uncoil from their umbilicals.... Seeming as a solar flare might cripple dig. comm. any day now, one could tell them;
Hey, look at it this way, when the grid falls, you'll be way ahead of your pals!
I mention this because, unless we return these basic skills to our offspring, they might not be very well equipped after we are gone.
That's about all, I reckon.

13 Years Ago

I talked to Donovan about how we have to look out for Earth and told him just as inside he is not to throw trash outside on Earth's floor ... tried to wash less clothes.. getting my little garden spot ready to plant in Spring.
Wrote a poem of how the people i read here touch me with their words.. and just tried to be kind to everyone and everything..

Peace

13 Years Ago

Thank you for sharing, I feel motivated to do something more.   I just finished reading Howard Zinn's book "A Power Governments Cannot Suppress" and found it motivating as well.  Knowing there are others out there that want to make the world a better place to live helps.   :)