Character Creation : Forum : hey I dont even know how to ma..

[reply] [quote]

Re: hey I dont even know how to make a character

11 Years Ago

I have been making tons of characters for my story and i think that the hardest part was naming them. I always considered my characters in an anime form and found it easier to create them then. Start with what kind of hair you want your character to have. Long, short, curly. What color is it? Dark brown, blonde? red? What color are your characters eyes? Is your character skinny? average? built? fat? Things like that. What kind of personality does the character have? good person? bad person? somewhere in between? What kind of clothes does the character wear? My story is fantasy which makes some of these things a bit easier but once you start getting the hang of it you'll have more characters then you'll know what to do with! Hope i helped a bit.
[reply] [quote]

11 Years Ago

What I do is start with what they are. A human, fairy, dog whatever. Think of their personality, what their role is in the story. Your character should have a purpose and and a reason their in the story so think of their history.From there, think of what relationships they have with other characters. Then you can go with a look that fits them. And combing their looks, situation and personality you can come up with a name. I sometimes go to baby name websites because they have the meaning of the name and origin. You can look up fantasy names, greek names, American names, whatever.
[reply] [quote]

11 Years Ago

Really, the way I do things might be considered a little different. I usually start off with introducing the characters' gender, what race, as well as go on about their backgrounds for a little bit first. That way, the reader already has an image of whom their reading about before further descriptions. Afterwards, when done describing their connection to the story, their relation to everyone else, then I describe the characters' appearances which their friends have come to be familiar with. Let their traits roll of your tongue. What color are their hair, eyes, and skin that show from their clothing. What about their stature, build? If you feel like really getting descriptive, also say something about the characters' expression. Is it soft, average, or common? Confirming that helps too. As for names, I usually take common names and write them backwards; such as "Shane" comes out as "Enahs". They sound fantasy enough for me. Anyway, that's my suggestion. Hope it was helpful. :/
[reply] [quote]

11 Years Ago

I go on baby name sites and just go through different lists. That way a don't even have to think about names when I'm developing the character. I just think about what I want them to do in the story, the basic role their going to play (protagonist, antagonist, supporting sibling, parent, etc). I develop their personality around that, and then develop their appearance. Then I go through my lists of names and choose one that fits them.