Concrete Angels : Forum : Abuse & Family Court

Abuse & Family Court

14 Years Ago

I am just appalled at the injustice and predjudice against victims of domestic violence, including children, in our nation's family court system! I didn't know how bad things are until it happened to me...

My ex attacked me, and threw the children & I onto the street like trash. I will never forget what he said, "Get out, this is my house!". We were like nothing to him. He refused to give any kind of help while the children and I were homeless. My ex then began to threaten that he will make up stories and take the kids from me. I did not believe this would actually happen, especially with someone like him (he was later found to have a serious mental illness called "personality disorder").

I eventually lost custody of my children... I was told by family court that it is wrong to be afraid of my abuser, and that my actions were evidence that I was attempting to alienate the children from their father. Both of my children have suffered from PTSD. One child has made at least a dozen independant allegations of abuse and ran away from the dad's home 3 times. My child said he was not safe in the dad's home. No one believed him. They said I made my child make up these stories.

I am heartbroken and disgusted by what has happened. In my search for answers I found that I am not alone. There are other mothers going through this... And I just want to say, I am so sorry for what you are going through and that you are not alone.

Lynn

Mothers of Lost Children: Support and Information who lost custody of children as a result of reporting abuse:

Battered Women, Abused Children & Child Custody: A National Crisis

Parenting Abused Kids: various Topics include Parenting Abused Children, Domestic Violence, and Family Court Injustice

Courageous Kids Network: Children speak up about abuse and family court rulings that endangered their lives by forcing them to live with abusive parents and/or ignoring their cries for help

Re: Abuse & Family Court

14 Years Ago

If there is one thing I have learned, its that the courts and authorities do not care.  They do nothing to help.  In fact, they side with the abuser in more cases than not.  I was 13 when my mother started abusing me.  I ran away several times.  I called child protection services for myself because no one else would and you know what the caseworker said "Oh, well you're old enough to deal with it.  I'm not going to go through a whole case over this".  The police?  "She's your mother.  She can do whatever she pleases until you're 18"  and sent me home.  Over and over and over.  Its really hard to be a victim.  I'm so sorry about your children.  I'm a mother myself now and I couldnt imagine what I'd do if I lost them and on top of that knew that someone was possibly hurting them.  My prayers are with you.  Stay strong and hopefully someone will eventually get a clue and listen to your voice.

~Cattie