Constructive Critics : Forum : How to be constructive.

How to be constructive.

10 Years Ago

Constructive criticism means that you point out an area for improvement and suggest methods that could be applied.
Complimenting someone's work, while nice and can be included in a review if you wish, is not constructive criticism. Hearing that one's work is moving or well-penned does not help one's writing style, only one's ego.
Telling someone their premise is bad or their writing style is weak is not constructive. If you gently point out a way to strengthen their writing style or give reasons why a different premise might work better, then it is constructive criticism.
A compliment sandwich is a helpful trick to avoid being too harsh.

Re: How to be constructive.

10 Years Ago

Hi,

I'm new to the group and look forward to being an active part of the community.  As such I would like to make a suggestion I have seen work in other venues.  

Would it makes sense to create a standardized (yet open ended) way of critiquing?  A kind of checklist to help reviewers along until they get a better feel for how to constructively criticize.  I think it would go a long way towards getting past the "I like it," and "I so feel you," reviews.  It would also help us as writers because we have a clear idea of what reviewers are looking at and why and we can be more effective self editors.

I am more than willing to help make this Critique Checklist happen but I would like to see if there is interest and find collaborators before starting.

Cheers,
Lawrence

10 Years Ago

I love this idea!
I once took a creative writing class where we were given 9 categories we needed to talk about whenever we reviewed each other's work.
Title. Perspective. Tense. Voice. Character. Plot. Setting. Dialogue. Ending.
I think it was those nine. Honestly I don't quite remember.
An open ended checklist. Could go along the lines of:
"The piece made me feel _____.The title wasThe perspective wasThe tense and grammar wasThe voice and style was The character development wasThe plot wasThe setting wasThe dialogue wasThe ending wasMy favorite part was"
This might be too vague/constricting - I'm just throwing stuff out there.We could look up formats. It is possible that a constructive critic checklist already exists that could be modified. Mission go!

10 Years Ago

will be helpful.

A draft

10 Years Ago

When I read this story, I wonder:                                                                                   After reading this story, I still want to know:                                                                     I felt confused when I read (explain why):                                                                         I needed to look up the following things to understand them:                                            I learned the following things from this story:                                                                  My favorite part of this story was:                                                                                 This story seems to express (opinion or no opinion):                                                     The following lines may contain errors in grammar (be specific):                                      The following lines may contain errors in spelling (be specific):                                        The following lines may contain errors in punctuation (be specific):                                  The following lines may contain errors in style (be specific):                                           The following lines may contain errors in continuity (be specific):                                     In my opinion you could improve your (Title, Plot, Ending, Character, Setting, Voice, Style, Dialogue, Format) by (be specific):                                                                     Include a closing paragraph of thoughts below that includes two questions, two compliments, and two suggestions for how to improve.

I used the format of the link and made some adjustment. Is there anything you want to add or you think doesn't fit?

10 Years Ago

Okay, obviously not with the really weird spacing.I tried three times, but the forum just doesn't want to obey my wishes.
Once there is a final draft I will add it to the description of the group and hopefully it will be more obedient then.
This draft isn't very helpful to poetry, but I did intend this group for stories - so I am not too concerned about the bias.

10 Years Ago

I think maybe consolidate the ones that start with "The following lines may contain..."  into a single line like, "The following lines may contain errors in spelling, punctuation, continuity and/or style."  That way the can list all the errors in the order they encounter them.  

We may also want to more clearly define style (most of the stuff I read needs help with POV, run on sentences and tense)  "I open the door and go inside, and as he looked around the room I relaxed, I was the only one here at this moment," kind of issues.

I would also add a question about least favorite part of the story, that's often more helpful than favorite.

Ideally one would print out the story, read it once and answer the first few questions and then go back and look for errors on a second (or third or forth ;) ) reading, It's what I try to do but it may be asking a bit much.

As far as poems, another separate list can be made because while the group was intended for Stories it looks like a lot of the submissions are poems...

I created a word document a put it in dropbox with my suggestions above and reformatted the list as questions.  I'm more likely to answer a direct question that finish a leading statement but that's just me.  Let me know what you think!

Distribution

10 Years Ago

I agree with the answering questions format instead of the repetitive finish the sentence format.
Two Questions - no capitalization for consistency
Two suggestions, - no comma for consistency
Is it redundant for us to have both the "In you opinion how could the author improve ..." and "Two suggestions for how to improve" ?
I agree with combining the errors question. Should there be more space after the error question and improvement question for listing? Or does that not matter because most will use it in an electronic format? Although aren't we hoping that members will print each others' stories and therefor it would be helpful to have the checklist be hard-copy friendly?
Major question. How are we going to make this checklist available to Constructive Critics?1. I could put a link in the description. Pro: Easy. Con: not that noticeable. 2. Or the checklist could be published as a story and then featured in the group. Pro: It would be very visible. Con: I would not be able to feature group members' writing.

10 Years Ago

Made the updates you suggested, got rid of the two suggestions line, and added a final thoughts section at the end.  

Here is a link to a folder with two versions of the outline, one to print (it has lines) and the other if they want to type.  

I think posting the links to the two in the description is the best way to distribute.  

I also think we should encourage members to use a signature line to identify themselves as members of this group in their reviews (to drive up membership) and they should say if they used the review checklist (so people know there is one and maybe they will use it too).

For example:

LawrenceRaybon
Constructive Critics Group
Using the Constructive Critics' Story Critique Outline

What do you think?

10 Years Ago

How do you hyperlink a URL in a post like this?I tried just copy paste enter but nothing happened.

10 Years Ago

Right above where you type in the body there is a bar with options, there is a link option in the bar (looks like a chain)

The option immediately to the right of that option unlinks a hyperlink.

10 Years Ago

Good to know generally - but they do not provide that option when I edit the description of the group :/ Super helpful visual by the way!

9 Years Ago

Hi! I'm new to the group and am very happy to be of service. 

Most of the time when I try to be constructive, I try to figure out the top things the writer need to improve upon. I put an excerpt from the text as an example, and suggest the writer to do it this way or that.

So what's the overall guideline? I'm still a bit confused.

I suggest:

Overall highlighting of [a] common mistake/s
Theme/Imagery/Character/Plot remarks
Opinions

And then saying Courtesy from Constructive Critics

It's simple I guess, so the critic won't have to be too strained with the guidelines. I think your guidelines is great, but I wouldn't be able to do all of them *shrugs*

And again, I'm happy to be part of this community.

9 Years Ago

Hi Decere!

The checklists are a spring board for people who don't know where to start when trying to give constructive criticism.  They give a list of important things to look for, but aren't necessarily meant to be followed exactly.  Once members get more comfortable giving constructive criticism they should definitely develop their own style that plays to their strengths!

I sometimes use the entire list (actually putting it word for word in reviews) when reviewing to promote this group, and to show budding writers exactly the kinds of things critics will be looking for in their writing.  But, often I just comment on my favorite/least favorite things and then point out mistakes in grammar, form, spelling etc. because of time constraints.

In general I think any constructive criticism is better than no constructive criticism and so do what you feel comfortable doing!  Leaving 'Courtesy of Constructive Critics' is great because it leads more people to our group and then we have even more people leaving constructive criticism!

These are my opinions and others may have other views.  In any case welcome to the group, I look forward to reading your work!

9 Years Ago

Both Decere's easy to remember/apply format and the highly detailed checklist to springboard off of are helpful tools that approach the problem from opposite directions. Perhaps showing both strategies to group members would be beneficial. I HAVE AN IDEA! Be right back.