Constructive Critics : Forum : How do YOU give constructive c..

How do YOU give constructive criticism?

9 Years Ago

What method do you use to give constructive criticism? Several techniques have already been shared on Constructive Critics' Guide to Constructive Criticism.
I would love to add your voice. Tell me how you do it. What do you focus on? What do you do if the author disagrees?

Re: How do YOU give constructive criticism?

9 Years Ago

Originally posted by C. Rose
What method do you use to give constructive criticism? Several techniques have already been shared on Constructive Critics' Guide to Constructive Criticism.
I would love to add your voice. Tell me how you do it. What do you focus on? What do you do if the author disagrees?

I mostly try to share different pieces of advice that apply to their mistakes. Like words they shouldn't use, and how to find grammar/spelling errors (read it backward). I try to focus on spelling and grammar issues I find, also I try to point out anything that doesn't sound right or if something isn't right (plot hole or unbelievable character actions). If they author doesn't agree I usually just ignore it and move on with my day. Probably not the best tactic, I'm just sick of fighting with thick headed, stubborn people. If they are handling it correctly then I will try my best to explain better and justify my review.

9 Years Ago

First, I try to be encouraging no matter what level the writing.
I understand that everyone is at a different point in their journey and some encouragement to push forward will help them continue to write.
I don't always give grammar, spelling or syntax suggestions. But when I do, it's usually because some jumped out at me or I don't have anything else constructive to add.
I try to give the writer what I'm thinking about during the read as well. What emotions I'm feeling, questions I'm hoping to get answers to and places where I'm bored or feel like the story isn't believable. These are all very valuable to me and even more so valuable when given (in a book at least) in a real-time fashion without reading beyond the ending you reached. It will allow the writer to see if they're getting the reactions they intend when they intend them.
Perhaps not everyone will agree with thi, but if I feel like something is wrong with a story or chapter, I'll give suggestions on how it might be fixed but I try to let them know that its only an idea that they may care for. 

9 Years Ago

I always point out all the grammar and spelling issues I see first. I tend to be very blunt and most people appreciate that I don't sugar coat things, I have to be careful not to come off as mean. I do tend to say everything I notice that could be improved. If they have too much showing or too much telling I make sure to point that out because it can be one of the hardest things for new writers to grasp, but it is one of the most important things to know. I will be very unhappy if I notice that they didn't bother to name the characters, at least the main one, and I will be sure to let them know to fix that injustice. (There are a few exceptions to that rule, but they are far and few in-between. I make sure that they actually have a character and not just words on a page. I always check for tense changes, but those are the bane of my existence so I'm not much help there. Again I'm blunt, but not mean. I always save the last part of my review for the good stuff. I find that if you tear them down, then build them up, they are more likely to improve and take you for your word. Not to mention knowing what you did right is often just as important as knowing what you did wrong.