Debating about our world : Forum : Is it ok to smack children on ..

[reply] [quote]

Is it ok to smack children on the bottom as a punishment?

13 Years Ago

Now I'm not talking about seriously hurting the child, just enough to give them this thing called negatvie reinforcement i.e. the child will regester what ever they have done as being unacceptible and won't do it again. Personally I think it's fine, never done me any harm nor my parents or grandparents. What's your opinion?? ('Cause here there's a bit of dabate about it)
[reply] [quote]

Re: Is it ok to smack children on the bottom as a punishment?

13 Years Ago

When I was younger I was one heck of a little troublemaker, I'll tell you that. The only way for me to "learn my lesson" was to get a spanking from my father. Sure, it hurts, but it sends out a clear message. I think it's fine and once I get married and have children, I intend to use this punishment on them if they turn out to be anything like I was.
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

Maybe not in public, I haven't been one for public humiliation anyway. SO sure, as long as it stays in the house
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

I think its fine.
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

Duh. My mom's doing that and more with my sister right now, and she's 1.  But when I do something wrong, that's the sort of thing that gets bypassed.   Jeez, if spanking isn't OK, I guess I'm a victim of child abuse then.
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

I don't agree with spanking. Doctors have done research and they said that spanking causes a child to become violent as they get older. Both of my parents have smacked me before but to be honest, I ended up doing the same wrong thing again later on, so it doesn't really help your kids out.
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

No, I do not think that is okay.  Children should learn how to behave, but not out of "violence".  Something should be taken away, demonstrating that what ever they have done will result in getting something they like taken away.  Consequences, but not spanking. 
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

I think child spanking is good to an extent. I don't think a person should ever hit a child, whether on the butt or face, out of anger. Three swats is good enough for a toddler but only on the butt. Now, when the child is old enough to talk back, a slight pop on the mouth is acceptable but not one that leaves your hand stinging from the contact because that means the child's face is hurting more since the face is more sensative than the hand. Also, belts and paddles I don't think should be used because then it's hard to judge just how hard you are actually hitting your child. Doctors have actually said if a girl is hit too hard with a paddle, it can shift her uterus and cause her to become barren. If you are a Christian or you follow the morals of the Bible but you are not a Christian, remember "spare the rod, spoil the child." I have had too many experiences where this is true and I really don't like being around the spoiled rotten little kids who don't know the fear of getting into trouble. And sometimes, the humiliation of being punished in public does the job. It did for me at least.