Debating about our world : Forum : Should the convicted be set fr..

[reply] [quote]

Should the convicted be set free if the law has changed for his or her crime?

13 Years Ago

To this question, I think it depends on the crime. If a person committed murder and was convicted then the murder law was repealed (not that it would of course), then he or she should finish his or her time. But if it was a petty theft or vandalizm with no harm done to anyone, then I think they can go free. To me, it's just a matter of how bad a person was harmed or not harmed (or intent to harm). Also, with a matter of thinking about the constitution and ex post facto. Since this applies for when a once legal act becomes illegal, people who committed it can't go to jail unless they do it after the law is passed. Then maybe it is constitutional to apply it backwards too. If you committed a crime and was convicted but then years later (or months) the act became legal, you should still stay there and serve your sentence. But then that leaves room for strikers and petitioners to be imprisoned and kept there. It really depends on the crime committed.
[reply] [quote]

Re: Should the convicted be set free if the law has changed for his or her crime?

13 Years Ago

I say no, they shouldn't be set free. For one thing, if they couldn't commit the crime at the time and they did so anyways, they should still have to serve the time. Now, on other hand, if it was minor, like the other person said, I'd say it still depends on it since vandalism can cause serious damage sometimes, or stealing something worth alot, etc. So I say it depends on how major it is. Now, stealing a pack of gum or something like that, then they should be set free. I rest my case.
[reply] [quote]

Re: Should the convicted be set free if the law has changed for his or her crime?

13 Years Ago

I definitly think they should have to finish out there time fo rwhat they did no matter how much the laws change, if they did smthing wrong they should atone for it no matter whatchanges along the way.
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

No but I believe, if the convicted had good behavior, a retrial should be considered and done if the law has been changed for his/her crime.