Disabled Writers : Forum : What are your disabilities?

What are your disabilities?

12 Years Ago

I figured I would post this so we can learn about each other. :3 So yeah, what are your disabilities and how do they affect you?

For me, I have Asperger Syndrome, Auditory processing disorder, ADHD and severe anxiety. Yeah, it seems like a lot for someone like me... especially for someone who is able to write so well.

Writing is more a gift for me because I started when I was in 5th grade and then as time went on... I discovered that it was the best way for me to express myself. I express myself better through writing than I do when speaking verbally. A lot of people misjudge me because they see someone who is a good writer yet with so many disabilities.

I think that having disabilities is what inspires others to do things they thought they could never do. I am actually very high functioning and can go a good day without melting down or screaming. Though, there are times when I do get frustrated and I feel like hurting myself or going to the extreme of things. I am working on how to control these negative emotions.

That's why writing helps me because it is an outlet for any of the frustrations I go through that I have a much harder time explaining verbally. So for me, writing is a gift that I have and not just something I can do.

Anyway, what about you? ^^

Re: What are your disabilities?

4 Years Ago

I know this post is quite old, but I thought it couldn't hurt to answer, anyway.
So, I'm autistic as well (probably ADHD too but I wasn't diagnosed with it yet). I identify strongly with my disability because without my autism I wouldn't be the same person as I am today. 
Of course, it's not always easy and a lot of things like school are really hard for me, but that doesn't mean I would change anything about myself. There are a lot of things I'd change about our ableist society though. Alone the fact that nobody even knows what "ableist" means, proves me right. 
That's the reason I want to become a disabled rights activist. Writing is a good exercise for this too because it helps me learn to express my thoughts better and make people listen.