Dragon Slayers-(and other misanthropes) : Forum : I started this group for like ..

I started this group for like minded writers who want to share ideas and characters in the fantasy ...

13 Years Ago

story and poem writers game...from the classic Orc and Fairie and Dragon characters...to ? I am here to discover how to write for the Larger world ...of readers who may be inticed to read our works...

Re: I started this group for like minded writers who want to share ideas and characters in the fantasy ...

13 Years Ago

Awesome. I'm so there. Currently, I'm working on a series titled <i>The Guardians of Enoch</i>. Book one, <i>Dragonfaerie</i> is currently being considered by a small publishing house. I've got my fingers crossed. :)

There are several resources that I used when I started to write the series. One of them was <i>How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy</i> by Orson Scott Card. It raises some interesting ideas on how to contend with certain things like how magic works and the creation of your fantasy world. <i>The Writer's Complete Fantasy Reference</i> was very good as well. It gives a brief overview of many real-world civilizations, ancient religions and the like. It was a good reference.

Beyond that, I found the best way to learn how to write good fantasy was to read two genres: fantasy (<i>good</i> fantasy, like Robert Jordan, Tolkien, Lewis and Rothfuss) and (surprise, surprise) history. Not just Ancient or medieval history, either. Some of my best ideas for the series actually came from studying WWII.

I'm totally willing to discuss good characters, plots and the like. This could be fun!