Emerging Fantasy : Forum : Welcome!

[reply] [quote]

Welcome!

9 Years Ago

Hi Guys!

Thank you all for joining. Please let me know what you'd like to discuss and what you'd like to get out of the group, and then we can go from there.

Tristyn.
[reply] [quote]

Re: Welcome!

9 Years Ago

Hi Tristyn! I just joined this site and found this group. It looks brand new so I'm looking forward to seeing things happen. I'm pretty far into writing my first novel called "Vaclyner's Rite". I just broke the 80K word count today! Writing is often slow due to my job and exhaustion but on days off, like today, I can make fair progress. 
I just wanted to introduce myself and see where this leads. Cheers!

-Alan
[reply] [quote]

9 Years Ago

I'd like to talk about

-First Lines/ Hook
-When your fantasy/sci-fi concept is meant to be semi-subtle like mind reading or mind control. For example I have a character who has her motivation altered. He pats her on the head, there is a tingling sensation that rolls down her scalp. And then she suddenly changes her mind. Some reviewers have found this confusing. But I don't want to 'tell' what is happening. Suggestions? General or Specific.
[reply] [quote]

9 Years Ago

Originally posted by C. Rose
I'd like to talk about

-First Lines/ Hook
-When your fantasy/sci-fi concept is meant to be semi-subtle like mind reading or mind control. For example I have a character who has her motivation altered. He pats her on the head, there is a tingling sensation that rolls down her scalp. And then she suddenly changes her mind. Some reviewers have found this confusing. But I don't want to 'tell' what is happening. Suggestions? General or Specific.
Maybe try setting up an equation and let the reader "do the math" so to speak. I don't know the specifics of your story or characters, but for instance, you could have your female character very passionate about her motivation, even quite vocal about it. Then, the man who has the power to change it can have a reputation for changing things, or whatever. Is his power known by other characters? Put those two things close enough together to have it fresh in the reader's mind. 

p.s. This question could maybe be it's own thread, but that's probably up to Tristyn.
[reply] [quote]

9 Years Ago

Hey guys,

Just letting you know, I have started this in it's own thread. I thought it was a really good discussion point, so please let's continue it over there. :)