Fantasy Writing : Forum : Total fantasy V.s. Fantasy in ..

[reply] [quote]

Total fantasy V.s. Fantasy in our world

8 Years Ago

Do you prefer to write total fantasy, where the entire universe is a work of your imagination, or do you prefer to write something with a hint of our reality in it? Why do you prefer one over the other? What are the advantages/disadvantages of both?
[reply] [quote]

Re: Total fantasy V.s. Fantasy in our world

8 Years Ago

Great question! I prefer total fantasy. The first novel I completed a first draft for takes place in an apocolyptic near-future and it drove me NUTS to write it, even with the liberties I was able to take what with the apocolypse and all. Having to be so careful of actual cities and history and backfilling magic and cosmology into reality was really frustrating and felt really limiting. Afterwards I swore, never again! I would rather invent a world from scratch and let my imagination have free rein!
[reply] [quote]

Re: Total fantasy V.s. Fantasy in our world

8 Years Ago

Has to be invented! I just love coming up with the layout, concepts and ideas behind the history and layout of the new world. I will say I use the really world as a format to go by. For instance, my latest stories are set in a 17/18th century style world but its Pangea and in a era where the supernatural still exists but is coming to an end...