Fluffy Sugar B*****s Club : Forum : Just a rant

Just a rant

16 Years Ago

Ah I bet we are all sitting here fuming about a review we just got and I'm kicking myself for submitting my piece to the Judge and Jury contest because I had something to edit and enter but I figure I'll just rant about it here. There was a contest that allowed nothing but works that had people talking, there was no filler it just had to be a conversation between two people. Ok fine easy enough right, well frankly its kind of hard to build something on just words you need actions and stuff too, just like in the real f*****g world where half the time it is your mouth that writes checks your a*s can't cash.
    Well anyways I wrote a piece sure its not a good piece because I actually have to write stuff with substance and not just FLUFF, which is how I saw this contest but entered it anyways because wel frankly I'm wanting the exposure and I'm willing to try new stuff. Back on track here the moderator said that my story had no point and it was pretty much pointless unless she was missing something. EXCUSE ME, it is exactly what you wanted if you wanted your conversation type stories to have a point then specifiy other than that do not come up with a contest where you can't have anything but people talking, I listen to people talking every day and frankly it isn't the conversations that hold much interest its the actions and what they are doing WHILE talking that make it interesting, so don't make a pointless contest with rules like that if you are going to be saying that the work is pointless, because actions speak louder than words unless you're me and then I have a big mouth so my words speak as loudas my actions!
    But that's my rant I just needed to get it out and I'm sure we have all been there hence the Judge and Jury contest lol

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

WTF? How RUDE!!! Who would say something like that to a person nice enough to enter their contest? Some people just think they are the worlds greatest writer and judge of what is good and what isnt.

Forget them! You rock!

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I know right? Actually it was time for another rant today because obviously people do not read the author's notes at the end of the piece. I know my first chapter for my one book has like major typos but my whole thing was get it up so people can read and so if anything happened I would have a copy somewhere. Luckily I did because my laptop croaked and I didn't have a copy on my desktop, so yeah I KNOW there are typos I was well aware of that when going through the first chapter to get myself up to speed. The next thing I got criticized on was the fact that I kept referring to the book as The Agency and where the characters worked as that, the reviewer then goes into how the CIA is this this and this and the FBI blah blah blah and that is cool I learned something new but honestly the whole point of giving it a generic name was because quite frankly that isn't a major point to the story also it is to keep the reader wondering, well do they work for the government or are part of the government, also maybe it is an independent contractor that works within the boundaries of the law but funded by private means, or hell maybe they are just an illegal operation that keeps a vague name so it can be confused with another agency and they take the fall for it sheesh LOL I mean honestly I do not expect a good review but at least read NOTES before saying something and then maybe question the author WHY they referring to something the way they are.
Then they go on to say how there are other books with the same thing going on blah blah blah and what makes mine stand out from them? Ummm I dunno some personal experiences? Basing the characters on people I know or have met? The simple fact that my f*****g contract killer does magic (Thank you Criss Angel for the inspiration on creating a contract killer) I'm not expecting it to be on New York's best seller list or any of that crap, the simple fact that it will be the first damn story that I actually saw through and finished THAT in itself is the accomplishment. And sure there will be people who think my writing is crap, I think some writing is crap, like this one vampire book I read, I am sure the author put her blood sweat and tears into the book but honestly I COULDN'T FOLLOW IT! I tried re-reading it and maybe then I could get it but no. I wouldn't go up to that author and say hey your book is crap you shouldn't write! I would however ask the author why she didn't include an ebonics guide of footnotes as to what some of the things said meant. Ugggh LOL good thing this is a group to just up and rant because I need to sometimes! Besides for whatever I MISS that is why there are editors. Maybe I'm not happy with the name of the book but I had to think of something off the top of my head and if anyone has any ideas on what to call it I welcome them, but I refuse to budge on the name of where the characters work, unfortunately with my title that makes it the focal point and I don't want it to be, but it was a spur of the moment thing, so again if anyone has any ideas I'm open for suggestions lol just don't tell me to change the name of where they work, although I am open for ideas on that.