Fountains Of Knowledge : Forum : Religion

[reply] [quote]

Religion

14 Years Ago

Since I'm doing a lot of research on religion for a work in progress, I'll be taking the best sources I find and posting links or citations on this thread with a short summary.
(I should probably warn that, as an anti-theist, my research will probably not be that pleasing to those of you who are religious. The first two sources certainly weigh down heavily on the side of atheism, although the second is more balanced, being a debate rather than a discussion)
To begin with:

1. The Guardian Hay Festival Discussion On Blasphemy (Stephen Fry and Christopher Hitchens)

This is one of the most eloquent and thought provoking discussions I have had the pleasure to watch on any subject, let alone religion alone. Among the points made, one of the most interesting is the discussion of how belief in religion arises in parallel to concious mind. While I'm not entirely sure I agree, for various reasons, the idea is an interesting one.

2. Also worth listening to is the Intelligence Squared debate on whether the Catholic Church has been a force for good or bad in the world. It also features Fry and Hitchens, but in this case arguing against opponents (Anne Widdecombe MP and Archbishop Onaiyekan of Abuja, Nigeria). Favourite moment here is Fry's monologue on (in a nutshell) what should replace the sense of fervour and passion in our lives that has historically been based around religious faith (This part was edited out of the BBC's final transmission but I've found it elsewhere and given that link as well. It's the second one).

Needless to say, anyone who has another sources should feel free to post them : )
[reply] [quote]

Re: Religion

14 Years Ago

Ill give em a look! Thanks for posting, -Jesse