Goodbye, Blue Monday : Forum : Intro

[reply] [quote]

Intro

14 Years Ago

Please provide fond memories of reading a now favorite author for the first time. Where you were. The smell in the bookstore. You know the routine.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

I never used to be into his writing...and now I'm hooked.
My bro had been reading his works for a while...and my dad and my other bro. One night I picked up Going Postal By Terry Pratchett and read it within the week. Now I read all of his works that I can. I'm goin' to the disworld con. He is, by far, the funniest author I have ever read. I laughed and laughed and laughed all the way through Going Postal. I have now read about seven of his works and I can't stop. It's awesome. I'm hooked.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

I am going online and getting Going Postal today.....thanks for the suggestion!!

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

The bookstore smelled faintly of cheese, I remember. And onions. And ninjas.
Well, that was normal, I mean who doesn't smell ninjas in a bookstore? I had to fight a couple of 'em but I finally got it! The Foundation Series by Isaac Asimov! Didn't get me hooked on reading (I was already) but I just wanted to put that out there.
The first one I recommend reading is 'Foundation,' or 'Prelude to Foundation'--he wrote Foundation first, but Prelude is set earlier. They're sci-fi, and if you like Kurt Vonnegut you'll love Isaac Asimov's stories. They have your eyes popping out by the end, I swear. Especially Prelude to Foundation. :P
Anyway, I grabbed my nunchaku, held the book under my arm, and got the heck outta that bookstore.
The ninjas followed me. Ah! There's one now!
HiYAH!
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Originally posted by Jon Gary Frost

I am going online and getting Going Postal today.....thanks for the suggestion!!

No prob.
Wow scott that's one way to get hooked :S
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

I couldn't help but join this group!  Kurt Vonnegut and Tom Robbins are two of my absolute favorites.  I first read Robbins in when I was still in high school around 1997.  My mother has always been an avid reader so there were always books around the house.  One day, while looking for something to read, I ran across this book with a quirky illustration of a mummy with a shining halo on the cover.  It was Another Roadside Attraction and I tore through it.  Since then, I've read pretty much the entire Robbins catalogue.  My favorite of his, though, has to be Jitterbug Perfume; in fact, it played a part in my wife and I meeting.

As far as Vonnegut goes, I completely admire and am jealous of his ability to see the world and all of its silly futility with such clarity.  In a similar fashion as finding Robbins, I was in a used paperback store looking for something to read when I picked up a copy of Bluebeard.  Needless to say, it was fantastic and I've since read as much Kurt Vonnegut as I can.  I love his short stories, especially "Harrison Bergeron," and my favorite novel is definitely Cat's Cradle.