Gothic-Romanticist In A Post-Modern World : Forum : The "Who" Question

The "Who" Question

14 Years Ago

Let get to know a little bit about one another.  Answer the questions below.    Name: Interests Favorite Book: Favorite Author: Favorite Gothic Author; classic and modern: Music Movie:   Why do you like gothic lit?   What is Gothic Lit too you, otherwords define it in your own words?    

Re: The "Who" Question

14 Years Ago

My name is Duane, and I have several published poems under the name H. D. Sharpe.  My interest include: writing genre fiction, perticulary mixing Romance, Horror, Fantasy, and elements of the "deviant psychology" that is Human; I listen to "Goth" music created back in the Victorian era, modern Goth(ika), Metal, and Classical music and my favorite bands are Type O' Negative, HIM, DoPE, AX7, Smashing Pumpkins, pre 22nd century Marilyn Manson, and most importantly Nine Inch Nails; I have a working suit of tattoos which are mix of modern goth and Victorian Era Themes, as well as over half a dozen piercings!  I am will be recieving my B.A. in Professional Writing soon, and I will be moving on too grad school where my focus will be Gothic Literature, so old and out of date your your grandmother's grandmother probably never heard of it!  My favorite book is one these:  Rice's "Interview With A Vampire"; Brent Easton Ellis' "American Psycho"; Charlotte Bronte's "Jane Eyre"; "Dracula"'; a few others.  My favorite authors are the Bronte Sisters, R.A. Salvotore, Flannery O'Connor, Anne RIce, and many classic authors; I have made respect for everyone who writes from the heart in an artful manner, and is not afraid to express their work.  Author's like Easton-Ellis have inspired me to push the limits.  No matter how immoral a work seems, I bet if you look really hard you will find truth and a deeper meaning; which is intended show society it's flaws, not how to fix them.  My favorite Gothic Author; classic and modern or modern are: for America; Poe is the classic and Flannery O' Connor is the modern fav!  English Goth Author would be Charlotte Bronte, Mary Shelly, or Anne Radcliffe from the woman's perspective since there is a difference from a man's writing and a womans; male author would be Matt Lewis or Sheridan Le Fenu and I am not really modern writers from the United Kingdom; one never knows those things in an age of media.       Why do you like gothic lit?  I like Gothic literature because to me it is the last piece of history, and "experience" mankind has that keeps us from being sucked wholy into this world of science; which will destory us.     What is Gothic Lit too you, other words define it in your own words  Gothic Literature is about the human experience, gathered up into a ball, and then studied passion.

Re: The "Who" Question

14 Years Ago

Name: Aimee E. Mahathy~ Though, once I become good enough to be published I'm going under pseudonym. I'm an open coward.Interests: Reading and writing, of course. Studying the craft of poetry writing. Studying different literary movements. History; preferably 18th & 19th centuries. Fashion; preferably historic. I also enjoy designing/making my own clothes. Things of a paranormal nature. I've always wanted to organize a paranormal research group, ever since I was 9. Favourite Book: Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll. I know it's not Romantic or Gothic, but it's been my favourite since I was a small child. It's wonderful when you're little. When you're grown, you can identify a lot of life's little troubles with the symbolism in it. It also represents a lot of my own troubles.Favourite Author: Obviously Edgar Poe. I'm horribly and hopelessly obsessed with him. I mention him at least once a day. He is the reason I became interested in poetry as a serious outlet of creativity in the first place when I was 12. He has been my sole confidant, if one departed counts, for as long as I've needed one. If ever a turbulence arose in my life, some aspect of his writing came to both console me and expose it. I feel as though, crazy as it may sound, I know him better than I could know myself. I know none of this speaks of his writing, but you can understand why he is my favourite. Favourite Gothic Author:Classic: Although the reading is arduous, I'd have to go with Anne Radcliffe.Modern: Yet another Anne, Mrs. Rice. Though, my love for her did wane the further I got into the Vampire Chronicles. If she could have written a million Interview with a Vampires, I would have been content.Favourite Music: As for genres, it is mainly 70's punk, classical, and swing revival. As for bands, I'll try to keep this short:Iggy and the StoogesThe RamonesThe Sex PistolsThe ClashThe Dead BoysThe VibratorsChopinJ.S. BachFranz ListHandelSquirrel Nut ZippersDiablo Swing OrchestraAndrew BirdAgainst Me!Bright EyesBeirutNox ArcanaDead can DanceVoltaireDir en greyD'espairsRayLed ZeppelinRush JourneyThe CureJoy DivisionFavourite Movie: It's definitely a tie between three. Labyrinth, Dracula (1931), and The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920). Labyrinth is amazing simply because it's the movie of my childhood, and looking back it does have some Romantic aspects. Dracula, well, I shouldn't have to explain that one. I prefer the 1931 version because of Bela Lugosi, the added effect of black and white film, and the amateur attempt of horror (eg: the bats on strings). The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari because it's just a compelling story! As one of the first silent horror films coming out of Germany, it's very raw and powerful. It's very avant-garde in the strange angles and bright colors and it really gives an overall effect of anxiety and confusion. Why do you like Gothic lit? Well, I'm obsessed with the 18th and 19th centuries, as well as Edgar Poe, so that's the perfect recipe for an intense interest in Gothic Literature, is it not? I'm in love with anything from that period, and simple Romanticism gets a bit old after a while. Dark Romanticism offers a lot, but when you want to go deeper into a movement, you've got to look at what inspired those who inspired you. And that would be Gothic Literature. And there is certainly a lot to inspire!What is Gothic Lit to you; describe it in your own words: Gothic Literature to me, was a form of regression. A form of rebelling against the impending modernization. Horace Walpole was infatuated with medieval-ism and what they considered barbarism at the time, so he felt compelled to write about it. Also to live it... I love that he basically re-constructed Strawberry Hill! So that became what we know to be the basics of Gothic Literature... the supernatural, the dark castles, abandoned halls, damsels in distress.... all that. It's all so romantic.