THE BLUE ROSE CAFE : Forum : The merits of 'The Blue Rose C..

[reply] [quote]

The merits of 'The Blue Rose Cafe' - James Hanna-Magill

9 Years Ago

Dear Writing Friends
It embarrasses me a little that I am currently (4 March 2015) Featured Writer within this Group - 'The Blue Rose Cafe'.
Yet at the same time I feel honoured.
Let me explain to you why I am a member and the import to me in the best words I can muster.
1) Writers Cafe is a site designed to help us all write better within a community of the mutually supportive. I have been a member of Writers Cafe for quite some time. I have been away but am back. Read my rather lacklustre profile;
2) 'The Blue Rose Cafe' has a place within that site with merit. It sets competitions;
3) That is too simplistic. By setting competitions it seeks to encourage the new writer who needs focus or the more mature writer who has run out of ink on their pen to write again and better! It has a stimulating edge! It is a group of friends.
4) My only merit is that I have been published and paid for it, which goes to prove I am not the only fool on the planet!
In passing, I have a book on here 'Split' where I have received enormous help by critical writers on this website. It is a book I intend to get published and it has every chance.
In their comments on Split, it is just lovely to know that I was writing well. But it is even better to be told when you are writing complete nonsense and have suggestions as to how to improve it.
Positive critique is all.
You will get it in 'The Blue Rose Cafe' I am sure.
Writers Cafe is the best writing site on the internet in my personal opinion.
The Blue Rose Cafe is simply a small but important part of helping us all write better.
Listen. I am a nobody. Once I played a major role on this site. Not now.
Don't listen to me. Listen to Helena who moderates the ever so helpful 'Blue Rose Cafe' Group.
If you have not joined The Blue Rose Cafe do, or if you are a member already, support it.
Without wishing to bore you anymore than I already have (cough) I love one quote from one author I admire.
As a child of 15, I read Mervyn Peake's 'Gormenghast' trilogy. I had a notebook and on every page diligently wrote down words I didn't understand by looking them up in a dictionary and there were many.
In the end I found that some of the words I read were not in the English Dictionary.
Then in adulthood I found this perhaps his most famous quote:
'“We are all imprisoned by the dictionary. We choose out of that vast, paper-walled prison our convicts, the little black printed words, when in truth we need fresh sounds to utter, new enfranchised noises which would produce a new effect.” 
He made words up!
So go and recreate the world in your own words and do it here or anywhere you choose.
Get creative and use your talents in doing so.
Be it in Writers Cafe or in The Blue Rose Cafe as a subgroup, you will find help.
My notion? Join 'The Blue Rose Cafe' Group, and you will not regret it.
If you find anything in what I have just written less than erudite or simply tedious, put it down to my ineptitude. I shall!
In all friendship
James Hanna-Magill