Horror : Forum : Is Horror dead?

Is Horror dead?

12 Years Ago

Hey gang,

This is a question that really stands out in the back of my head. I mean when I think horror, I think Freddy, Jason, and Michael. The icons of the 80's that SADLY have been re-made and naturally they were abortions. Oh God, and THE THING! WTF happened there? The original got so far in your head, the ending bugged me for at least an hour or so afterwards, because you weren't sure if...well if you don't know, what THE ORIGINAL, because the re-make was so bad, I lost sperm.

Personally, while I think that the icon horror movies are dead, the new horror, the best kind of horror in my opinion, is the psychological kind. Naturally, I'm talking about movies like Paranormal Activity. Ha! I saw that movie during the midnight release and WALKED HOME. I LITERALLY jumped out of the way when a leaf blew past me. WHAT KIND OF MOVIE GETS THE FAR IN YOUR HEAD? A damn good one. Can't say the same for the sequels, but at least we got to see the whole story with the sisters.

Here's a fun fact for you. Watch the Paranormal Activity 3 trailer and then watch the movie. Have you noticed that EVERYTHING that happened in the trailer DID NOT happen in the movie?

Oh well. So what do you guys this are great horror films?

DANO!

Re: Is Horror dead?

12 Years Ago

okay i am the person that have only seen the remakes so i don't always understand peoples frustration about how terrible the remakes are because I like the ones that I've seen...which are apparently the remakes. 
I think that the best horror movies aren't the ones that are bloody and gory. I mean yeah those ones are disturbing but not super horrific. i think that the best horror films are the ones that stick in your head, the psychological horrors. Recently I saw The Woman in Black with Daniel Radcliff and ther was no gore or really any blood. But it was a psychological jumper...AH it was a good movie. 
So yeah thats what I have to say....

12 Years Ago

Hey Maddox not trolling you lol.  Just seeking inspiration.  The conversation was really interesting as I grew up in the in between age of Black and White and Colour television and "Back In The Day" they didn't have all the special effects the do now.  And the movie that scared people the most was Psycho.  Apparently there was such a mass hysteria people would not shower for days and weeks.  And if you go back even further to before TV, there was a radio program called War of the Worlds.  No gore just fear.  

You know the movie House Of A Thousand Corpses right?  The scene were the dressed up the victims like rabbit and then went out to hunt them?  I know at least two people that were freaked out by this.  It's not he gore that scares people.  The gore is more like the orgasm of the psycho thrill.

Dano is right, the remakes don't always do the original justice.  Neither did all the Jason series.  Pinhead was my fave and I've seen all ten.  What's you pleasure?  And Dano did it surprise you that the trailer was picked up off the editing floor?  It will be on the DVD. I'm almost sure of that.

TTFN

12 Years Ago

Hehe it's cool.  okay so the only portion of culture that I am slightly old fashioned in is music, travelling back on movies, not my strong suit. I mean yeah I am one of the youngest people in my group of friends that sits there and goes "do you remember that one show?" but not really movies. Especially not old horror movies. 
I've heard of Psycho, I've seen the shower seen but I've never actually seen the movie though I've been told what it's about. The first horror movie I ever remember seeing was when I was 5, my older sister forced me to watch freddy and jason...the dream killer one, where the guy thinks he's dreaming and is falling in the sky but when he hits the ground in his dream he is impaled upon a bed of nails and his body in the real world has all the injuries of the dream death scene....Please help me if you know horror movie I'm talking about! haha
Okay so it didn't surprise me that they used scenes for the trailer that they didn't actually use in the movie, I mean I guess that's how things go. They want to pull you in. Anyways I took a film class and now I basically just suck the fun out of advertising XD. Um....I do not enjoy movies where things jump out at you, I will watch them but I don't like things that jump out at me (terrible when you walk to school in the dark in the mornings by yourself....always looking over you shoulders and up in the trees.....). So yeah. My question is what now popular horror films are remakes?