Interactive Stories : Forum : A Different Kind of Audience

A Different Kind of Audience

9 Years Ago

Some readers are uncomfortable with MCGs. They don't like the second person POV, they don't like the tense, and sometimes MCGs can be frustrating if you "lose". 

Other readers love feeling included and having control over character decisions.

As a writer, I find I enjoy writing MCGs. It gives me a lovely mix of right and left brain tasks. If I have two different ideas for how something could be written, I can write both.

Writing for an MCG also feels less stressful to me. I am less concerned with showing off the perfect sentence and more concerned with clear and concise (and interesting) descriptions.

As a reader what do you think of MCGs?
As a writer what do you think of MCGs?

Re: A Different Kind of Audience

9 Years Ago

I was a big fan of the Goosebumps series as a young reader and the books written as 'choose your own adventure' were both fun and yup and engaging.I read several other books like this growning up as well.

As a reader now, I don't tend to pick this kind of book up these days because it's not what I'm looking for in a book. However, I do look for this kind of thing in video games (the small amount of time I spend playing them).

As a writer, this is a very interesting literary form because it does give you the freedom of creating various endings and opens up your work to being enjoyed through re-reading in a completely different way.
I also believe that many modern writers will not primarily stick to the classic novel formats and deviate as they are hired to create stories for games and virtual reality or even do it themselves as a form of re-imagining their own IP.