John Ronald Ruel Tolkien, Father Of Fantasy : Forum : Tolkien's Writings

Tolkien's Writings

16 Years Ago

[img]http://imagesource.art.com/images/-/The-Lord-Of-The-Rings---Map-Of-Middle-Earth-Poster-C12006789.jpeg[/img]

Who or what turned you onto the works of J.R.R. Tolkien and what is it that you love most about them?

-Phoenix

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

It was my dear friend Dan that got me really deep into the greatness of The Lord of the Rings (I was into the movies, but that was before i got into reading and just The Lord of the Rings in general) It has shown me a world beyond then what I thought my eyes could set there gaze upon. A Complete Masterpiece at it's best, not to mention the beautiful history of the things, races, and places behind it (if you love Tolkien, and speaking of Middle Earth's deep history, you must go pick up a copy of "The Children of Hurin" at your local book store)

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I like the fact that I'm "your great friend Dan". ::biggrin::

Muhahahaha!

lol

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

My mother read them to me when I was 8 and I was hooked.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I'm an olde school D&D player, AD&D actually. You know back when it was cool, just after Chainmail and when TSR was in its glory. But anywho, they used to have a recommended reading list in the back of the books. Tolkien was of course listed, who I remember was the guy whose books those crazy animated movies were about. So a preteen rpg geek, I delved into The Hobbit and was hooked on LOTR. This all happened about 25 years ago. I still hit the LOTR when I can't find anything else to read or when I need the comfort of "going home".
Enough from me, who's next?
Peace,

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Quote:
Originally posted by Northern Scribe
I'm an olde school D&D player, AD&D actually. You know back when it was cool, just after Chainmail and when TSR was in its glory. But anywho, they used to have a recommended reading list in the back of the books. Tolkien was of course listed, who I remember was the guy whose books those crazy animated movies were about. So a preteen rpg geek, I delved into The Hobbit and was hooked on LOTR. This all happened about 25 years ago. I still hit the LOTR when I can't find anything else to read or when I need the comfort of "going home".
Peace,

For us Tolkien Scholars or Tolkienites, Middle Earth is our home, (If I had a chance I'd live in Hobbiton and own a vacation home in Rivendell =) ) Our Leader Dan, was the person that really got me into reading, and Middle Earth was my first home away from home if you get my picture.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Quote:
Originally posted by Christopher J. Bottge
[quote=Northern Scribe]I'm an olde school D&D player, AD&D actually. You know back when it was cool, just after Chainmail and when TSR was in its glory. But anywho, they used to have a recommended reading list in the back of the books. Tolkien was of course listed, who I remember was the guy whose books those crazy animated movies were about. So a preteen rpg geek, I delved into The Hobbit and was hooked on LOTR. This all happened about 25 years ago. I still hit the LOTR when I can't find anything else to read or when I need the comfort of "going home".
Peace,

For us Tolkien Scholars or Tolkienites, Middle Earth is our home, (If I had a chance I'd live in Hobbiton and own a vacation home in Rivendell =) ) Our Leader Dan, was the person that really got me into reading, and Middle Earth was my first home away from home if you get my picture.[/quote]

Give me the warm earth in my hands, a good garden, and friends to share some ale with while we smoke our pipes, that would be bliss. Make my home in the Shire.
Peace

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I have to admit that it wasn't until I saw Fellow Ship of the Rings on DVD that I started reading Tolkien, but it took off from there. He blew me away, especially with the Silmarillion. Other writers create characters, he created worlds!

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Quote:
Originally posted by David M. Turner
I have to admit that it wasn't until I saw Fellow Ship of the Rings on DVD that I started reading Tolkien, but it took off from there. He blew me away, especially with the Silmarillion. Other writers create characters, he created worlds!

He did create worlds indeed! Makes me wonder sometimes about the reality of the Red Book of WestMarch.
Hey, congrats on reading The Silmarillion, it took me years of many frustrating false starts to get through that epic.
Peace,

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Speaking of the Silmarillion

(The ask to download box might take a few minutes to come up and save it in a place where you will remember where to open it Lol)

By simply adding that link to your address bar and pressing enter, it will take you to a upload site thing where there will be a option to download (A complete Audio version of the Silmarillion, with a brittish understandable Narrator, the folder is 778 mb, it takes an hour and a half to download because of its Folder size and depending on your connection, it has about twenty nine files which is each book chapter and there all long, I have so far seven chaps already burned audio cd's.) its worth the wait, Tommrow after chores and things, im gonna sit down and listen, and study! but i'm going to one day sit down and read the book as though a real reader should. But as things go with Audio books, this is pretty amazing how its told and the narrator has exact persist pronounces on the name and cities.

You to Dan! Lol

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Yeah, bro, thanks! I'm going to download it and read along with him.

-Phoenix

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

This is an old topic, I know, but I'm like most modern Tolkien readers.  I saw the Fellowship movie before I read the books.  I loved the trilogy so much that I went on to read The Hobbit.  I haven't gotten more than five pages into the Silmarillion on the multiple times I've attempted to read it, unfortunately.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

See, I'm a linguist; so what really turned me on was Tolkien's linguistic genius. Don't get me wrong: I like him also as a fantasy writer, but the primary reason I "worship" him is his languages.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
me

Re: Tolkien's Writings

14 Years Ago

I love the Silmarillion, its so awesome, i cant explain it...   SO AWESOME!!!