Just Getting Started : Forum : How my life was changed

How my life was changed

8 Years Ago

This is the first chapter of a short story.Rip it apart if needed.

I wake up.

The warm glow of florescent lights caress my face,and the all too familiar smell of hand sanitizer roams the room.My body tries futilely to let loose of this straitjacket made of bed sheets. I hear the melody of nurses footsteps right out the door.Another morning at the Kamogawa hospital is about to begin for me.

Every wakening starts with scrubs measuring my vitals and confirming my aliveness.Simultaneously a tray of liquid solids emerge from the depths of the hospital.I am slowly fed my food through means of straw.

Continuing on and on with my daily regimen would be as mundane to as it was to my friends and family so I'll move on.I usually spend my days blankley appreciating the grandiose room that was set up for me.To my left is state of the art equipment that keeps me alive juxtaposed by an ever dwindling number of boquets.And a TV turned on just loud enough to be audible faces me.

My days didn't used to be like this though.I enjoyed sports and living life while still being able to write for myself.I can still remember the initial embrace of the metal stallion

Re: How my life was changed

8 Years Ago

I played around your story a bit, and here's what I would suggest;

My eyes flutter open. The warm glow of florescent lights caress my face as my body struggles to escape the straitjacket made of sheets that confine my arms. (Some more about your situation) Outside the white room I was locked in trailed the melody of soft footsteps as a group of nurses passed my door. Another morning in the Kamogawa hospital has begun for me.   

The routinely tests begin. Figures in white clothing begin by measuring my physical growth and confirming my vital signs. (Bowel part?) Breakfast is fed to me by a transparent tube pumping liquid solids through into my bowel.

Continuing on with my daily regimen would be pointless, as explaining each procedure to keep me alive and functioning would be as mundane as it was to my friends and family, so I’ll just move on. 

I usually spend my days blankly appreciating the grandiose room that was set up for me: to my left stands state-of-art equipment that keeps me alive (I don’t understand the “juxtaposed by a bowl of pulpory” part here), along with a wide screen television turned on just loud enough to be audible that faces me.

My days weren’t always like this, however. I enjoyed sports and living live while still being able to write for myself. I can still remember the initial embrace of the metal.  

Notes: You have a very unique beginning! I like how you set the main character in a situation that not many of us have the chance (misfortune?) to experience. Your choice of vocabulary is also very interesting, using words that one does not normally use upon daily life, but I would reconsider whether or not would they fit in the same sentence together. Good work Mark, and keep it up!
-Kirasoul 2016.3.21

Re: How my life was changed

8 Years Ago

Thanks for the reply!
I wrote this in one shot around 1:30 this morning and it looks like it shined through my writing.I cleaned it up a little bit and might look a little better.