Logic Over Lies: Anti-religious Writers Movement : Forum : God?

God?

16 Years Ago

Well, if you have joined this group then it's most certainly possible that you do not believe in this false idol, although it could be that you are simply quite skeptical of his existence. The largest thing that keeps any from realizing that "God" is a lie is fear. Religion has inflicted fear upon man for centuries, it has always been a systematic way of controling you. If these things are always asserted as truth by the majority, it's only natural that one would think them so, is it not? What people have to realize is that just because the majority claims something to be true does not make it true. In the past Christians and Catholics took the Holy Bible for every word written in it (by man, not "God"). Now that it has been contradicted to the point that unless they bring in a new explanation to cover it up, such as to "not take it so literally, but see the metaphorical points in it", it is the only way to allow it to endure and be passed on in ignorance to generations. Galileo was chastised for heresy for simply claiming that the Earth revolved around the Sun. This is how literally man wrote and took the Holy Bible, from which their "God" was born in the minds of the sheep flocking in fear of being condemned to a fictional afterlife of fire and torture. Fear.

Please, join in and share your views of this matter. Bare in mind that what can be asserted without proof can be dissmissed without proof.

-Phoenix

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I once assualted a priest with a toe-nail clipper after he told me to go to church.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Lol, thats funny.
I just don't go to church, but, I'm jewish, was, ah, my mother wont let me convert so I'm pretty much stuck going to the temple and screaming angry thoughts in my head.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Yeah, I was still going to church for a long time after I denounced my beliefs as false, mainly because I grew up going with my grandmother and I was afraid that I'd disappoint and upset her. I finally stopped going and she hasn't really ackowledged it much, but I know that she's secretly disappointed, but it's actually I who am sad for her and for any other religious people... sad that they live in ignorance.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I'm just going to finish my bat-mitzvah, then still attend hebrew lessons, but not go to church. I think it helps you in college if you're fluent in many languages. I'm working on spanish too......

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

One of the most amazing books I've read on religion, Terry Pratchett's Small Gods, has this to say (and I paraphrase):

But it is significant that the first human Om met, and the person to shape his views on humans, was a shepherd. Just two valleys over, there was a goatherd and his flock. The difference between the two is subtle, but significant.

For sheep are stupid, and have to be driven, but goats are intelligent, and need to be led.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Oh, and I also told Daniel this story, so I'll tell it here: once, I nearly got the s**t slapped out of me because I told the wrong person that I had rolled joints out of the pages of one of those pocket new testaments that the Gideons hand out. (what? That thin paper is perfect, even if it does make it taste like you're smoking lies)...