Loki's Army : Forum : What makes Loki....?

[reply] [quote]

What makes Loki....?

11 Years Ago

What makes Loki so great? Opinions?
[reply] [quote]

Re: What makes Loki....?

11 Years Ago

The amazing beautiful psychology behind his character. He is such a human, such a realistic, such a perfectly designed character that he could be real. His minds mechanics, his hearts pain, his utter hatred of himself... He his just such a beautiful character. I could go on for hours.
[reply] [quote]

11 Years Ago

I entirely agree with you. It's unfortunate the majority of viewers who watch Loki on the big screen don't take the time to look deeper, and thus only see an evil, heartless villain. Yet Loki is unlike so many, conventional, same-old same-old villains that exist these days in that he has strong, realistic motivations behind his actions, and -- I like to think -- he isn't entirely evil. He isn't "the Dark One" or "the Evil Lord" or any evil stereotypical bad guy who is evil basically just for the sake of being evil. He isn't some great, all-powerful, evil, dark, unfeeling force that desires nothing but twisted evil. He's just a person, confused, out of place, hurt, and -- like the rest of us -- not perfect.

One of my favorite aspects of Loki, which you mentioned, is his uncertainty (I feel hatred is rather strong, but it still works) of himself. All good characters, villains or not, need flaws, and that is an ever-present one of Loki's. It makes him so much more 'relatable', and a much more sympathetic character. Also, it makes him less villainous and more human.

And gosh darn it I just love Loki so much because I sympathize with him. All he wants is to prove himself, the poor kid. Cut him some slack! Thor got everything,  the throne, the power, the big-brother charisma, the "daddy's favorite" treatment, the velvet cape, the good looks (though I myself find Loki much more good-lookin'); and all Loki ever wanted is expressed perfectly in his own words to Thor:
"I never wanted the throne! I only ever wanted to be your equal."

That line alone almost made me cry. It tugged at my heart.

He just wanted to prove to his father --and the world -- that he was a worthy son. His pain drove him to even attempt to take over the world just to prove that.
And I can completely relate to that! After watching the Avengers, I just wanted so bad to be able to see Loki and tell him I knew just how he was feeling, how much he wanted and needed to prove that he was worth something.

And when Loki tells Odin that he could have done it, and Odin just says no... man I would have let go of that edge just like Loki. It was so sad.

Of course, I also love Loki for his humor. His "I'm listening..." and "If it's all the same to you, I'll have that drink now."

Man, as much as I love the earth and the Avengers and all that good stuff, I wanted so badly to see Loki accomplish his goals.
Ahh  look at me, rooting for the bad guys...tsk tsk.

And to put a writing spin on this rather long reply, we can all learn a bit from Loki in writing believable villains, or any characters at all as a matter of fact.
[reply] [quote]

11 Years Ago

Couldn't have said it better. Verily!
[reply] [quote]

11 Years Ago

Bad guys are always more complex than the good guys. Please someone remind me to give my thoughts tomorrow! I love in Thor when he says "Damn...", "Yes of course", and his rant that brought Odin down.
[reply] [quote]

11 Years Ago

Now I have time to write my rant about the complex of Loki's character ;D

Now, I freelance study psychology and one of my absolute favourite things about Loki is ht psychology behind the character. He is raised with the possibility of claiming the throne, he is promised so much. But as he grows older, he realises all these things he was promised are going to his brother. He is just the shadow. And it really hurts because he just wants to be good enough! He just wants people to see how smart he is, because he is so damn intelligent, and how capable he is- because he is very clever, and very very capable! He's not evil, he is a child and he is broken.
Loki hates the frost giants. He loathes them. He wants them all dead, gone, wiped from the universe. But he touches the tesseract and he realises that he, he himself, is the thing he hates most. He was stolen as a child, raised as a god, and for what? A barganing chip? A trophy? He was nothing to his father, he didn't belong on Asgard, he was just the opposite of everything he thought he was and he was everything he hated.
So he had to prove himself. destroy jotunheim, save his fathers life, take the throne, and show everyone that he could do it! And despite anything you think, Loki would have made a great king.

In the end of Thor, when he lets go, when he falls... he does that because he is hurt and he is afraid. He cannot go back to asgard. He doesn't belong there. They won't forgive him. There is nothing there for him anymore. nothing. And when he falls he meets someone. Someone who promises him power, promises him rule. 
And this power, it's a power he can use to prove he's strong enough. 
That's all he wants. He wants to prove himself.

Let me ask you this: did you notice that in Thor Loki had green eyes and in The Avengers blue? It was because his mind was possessed by the tesseract. He was a surrogate, and body which evil worked through.

But Loki was not evil.

He was taken advantage of in his time of least strength, when he would have accepted anything. Anyone. When he would have welcomed death. And he was taken advantage of, and he suffered, he suffered so much.

At the end of The Avengers, when Thor has Loki look around at what he does (all attributed to Tom Hiddlestons amazing acting) you can see the surprise, the shame, the terror in his eyes as he realises what has happened. what he has allowed to happen. And it hurts him even more because he knows theres nothing, nothing he can do to stop it. He had fallen for greed and power, and it had taken complete control of him and there was nothing he could do to reverse it.

well that's the short version... hehe... short...
I seriously love the character Loki, as a writer and lover of psychology, and hate him as an actress because all the beautiful roles go to men.
[reply] [quote]

11 Years Ago

Well there are some fun female roles as well, but it does seem many male parts have complexity, which baffles me. I just love how utterly human Loki is, for all the reasons you just described. I love his scene when he says with great poignance "Because no matter how much you claimed to love me, you could never have a frost giant sitting on the throne of Asgard!" He is an incredible actor. That just blew me away.
[reply] [quote]

11 Years Ago

I concur. Loki would not be the amazing character he is if it were not Tom Hiddleston playing him. So much of it is tone, and even more of  it is expression. It baffles me, because he could be real. Without his powers, i mean- but he could be a real person.
[reply] [quote]

11 Years Ago

Having just read through this entire converstation, I must concur that I agree with absolutely everything which has been said about Loki. My two best friends are both "loco for Loki" and tend to talk about him nearly all the time, and when I saw this forum I was about ready to go through a long psychology rant about what my friends (and I, though when we talk about him they barely let me get a word in edgewise) have decided what makes him so great-only to find out that everything has already been said! Great to know Loki's appreciated. :)
[reply] [quote]

11 Years Ago

Wow, you guys have finally put into words what I've been trying to explain to my friends and family for weeks xD

I know I fell for Loki during that scene in Thor when he's talking to Odin.  Tom Hiddleston did do an amazing job with that scene, and I was really hurting for Loki, but there was something about the way he did that scene that made him seem really...adorable?  I don't know, but I really just wanted to reach through the screen and give him a hug.

I think what makes Loki such an interesting villian is that we do know his back story, so we know he is the way he is.  Its impossible not to sympathize with at least a little bit.  I was also really intrigued with his transformation from Thor to Avengers,  And lets face it, Villians are hot,  and since its impossible to hate him you just got to fall for him.

Anyway,  I'm forever grateful to whoever invited me to this group!
[reply] [quote]

11 Years Ago

The fact that he is such a complex character, the fact that he is so real, so much alike us, and yet so different. He has his hurts, pains, that WE can understand, because, we, in some form and level have experienced it too. That's what makes Loki great for me. ;D
[reply] [quote]

11 Years Ago

Loki is just endlessly beautiful. In my mind, he is a representation of the entire spectrum of human emotions rolled up into one controversial character. I know way too many people who like Thor better just because he's physically attractive, but Loki has that and so much more. He has a certain charm about him in Thor that is indicative of underlying boyish innocence and raw emotion, all of which seems to disappear for the majority of The Avengers, when his villainy and psychotic behavior progressed past its previous level. He also has multiple dimensions and so many subtle qualities to pick up on every time he appears onscreen. During Thor and The Avengers, Loki kills people, attempts to conquer worlds, and is cruelly manipulative, yet cries when confronted by his brother and whimpers after taking a whooping from the Hulk. All this while still exhibiting pure bad-assery. THAT is what makes Loki great.