Memoir Writing Group : Forum : How to begin?

How to begin?

13 Years Ago

I'm trying to decide where exactly to begin my memoir, whether to jump straight into a more interesting part, or to slowly test the waters of my life. How did you choose to begin?

Re: How to begin?

13 Years Ago

Originally posted by Pharaoh
I'm trying to decide where exactly to begin my memoir, whether to jump straight into a more interesting part, or to slowly test the waters of my life. How did you choose to begin?

My advice...just start freewriting it....just spew it out onto paper. This will help you wrap your mind around the topic. Now after you’ve done that, your story begins where the action starts. 

Grif, cut everything before that incident. Weave that content that is ‘truly’ relevant (meaning it moves the plot forward) into the prose from that point forward. 

Now if you’re memoir is more of a personal essay collection; then treat each chapter as a stand-alone short story with the same rules, but they don’t necessarily need to follow together, but would be better if all the stories supported a theme. Where to start ?story(s)the. If you HAVE to use limited flashbacks if the content just isn’t sequential to your story