Midnight Musings : Forum : January 2014 Daily Totals

January 2014 Daily Totals

10 Years Ago

Oops! So... already the second of January and forgot to put this up.

I did a bit of art over the last couple of days and have touched up a short story that I need for the 18th.  

I've had a few new people reading a few of my posted stories and it is a bit inspiring... hoping to work on my long story by this weekend. :)

How is your new year treating you?

Re: January 2014 Daily Totals

10 Years Ago

How exciting for you to have people reading your stories - I feel some way from that! BUT - I finished the first draft today, all 99,386 words today. Congratulations to me! 9 weeks and 2 days from start to finish. Now my plan is to revise it properly and turn it into a proper draft that I get critiqued and then, possibly, one day try to use to get an agent. Do you do much revision on your stories or do you just post them straight up once they're finished?

10 Years Ago

CONGRATULATIONS!  Wow... that is a lot of words.  You averaged over 10K per week!  Go Genb!  How exciting for you to have that sense of accomplishment at finishing something of that size and that is all yours. :)

I usually send my draft off to ShaViva and she marks it up like an angry 5th grade English teacher.  Thankfully she changed to purple ink a couple of years ago.

Since my stories are about characters from a show we both know and love, she will also critique me on whether she feels that I've kept the character true to their characters on the show.  You know... does it fit with what we know about them?  Would they really act/react that way?  That sort of thing.

We both post our stuff on a website that people who also like the show will go to and read stories about their favorite characters.  They will also leave comments if they wish as they read each chapter.

This is actually how I met ShaViva. :)

So... question... since this is your second story, would you use your first story, or do you feel this one is stronger?

10 Years Ago

Hello - just posting to see if you're all okay over there, or are you in arctic temperatures?  The front pages of all the newspapers here have stories about everywhere freezing across the US.

To answer your question - yes, the second story is MUCH better than the first, so that is the one I am going to go with.  Also, although I wrote it second, it was actually intended to be the first in the series (which is of six, if I ever get that far).  It's set in the 1950s and I've just had feedback that that might be hard to sell, but I'm hoping that the Mad Men vibe will see it through!

10 Years Ago

I have not written anything so far this month!  A tiny bit of editing and that is all!!

It has been a bit chaotic around our house, kids out of school for weather a few times, then again for teacher in-service days and holidays... They just got off of Christmas break... don't know why the teachers need a break already.  Glad I'm not a teacher though.

I've also been working long hours at work, which doesn't help either.  Hoping to feel more inspired in February! 

Hope you've been experiencing more inspiration/motivation than I have!

Sorry to be so absent and not much of a cheerleader this month.  

I have set a goal for myself for this weekend though.  Just a small one.  I want to write 500 words by the end of the weekend.  I figure if I accomplish that much, it might inspire a bit more.  I'll check in later and let you know if it worked.

10 Years Ago

Not sure why this month is so busy, but between the bitterly cold weather and a tough work load this month... I feel more busy than November and December (our busiest months).

I did some writing today though.  Not actual story, but I jotted down two pages full of notes about the scenes in my head while I waited for my sons bus to drop him off at the stop.  Hoping to maybe add a few more notes when I get another chance.  Kind of got excited to actually be writing though and thought I'd pop in and say so.

Hope you're finding a few moments in your days to think on your story or maybe even put some words down.  

Wonder when the next NaNo will be?

10 Years Ago

Hello - how are you getting on?  I seem to remember that you had a story that you wanted to finish for one of your threads - did you get that done?  I am still revising my draft - actually will probably be more of a rewrite, but I'm happy just tootling along.  Are you going to do a February thread?

10 Years Ago

Oh, how funny, I had half of my post written and forgot to finish it yesterday - only when I posted it up did I see that you'd put a new entry up.  I'm really glad that you've managed to get some writing done .... keep going.... I think the next Nano is in April.  In fact, not that far away now!