Midnight Souls : Forum : Reading and reviewing

Reading and reviewing

13 Years Ago

How many on here actually return the favor after being read and reviewed? I know it is hard sometimes, especially if you have a ton of friends and you are, after all busy with your own work. But take the time to be kind and return a favor to your fellow authors. If you have an abundance of friends, ask that author to send a read request or state it in your profile that it is easier to return the favor if a request is sent. Just wanted that off my chest.

Re: Reading and reviewing

13 Years Ago

I do my best but sometimes lose track.. if the requests are mailed it is easier.
I have been reviewing new writers lately and most do no review my writing, maybe because they are new.
I like this post people need to return the favor and i am going to do better.. i promise lol

Chloe

13 Years Ago

I definitively agree. I like to return reviews when I someone reviews my writing, but only a few writers do the same... Also requests makes it a lot easier to help you know who you haven't reviewed.  

13 Years Ago

I agree. I have so many friends it is difficult to get around to every profile. But I read all requests sent if they show up.

13 Years Ago

I try to review as much as possible these days though it's slowed since I started picking up momentum with my own novel. I've noticed something that I mentioned to my friend at one point. When I review and read other people's work, it helps me push through my own bouts of writer's block. Maybe it's a karma thing, I don't know. Still, I've heard people say over the years that they do not feel qualified to critique something because of a lack of experience or whatever. Sometimes I think we forget that just saying something lets people know that they are not just wasting their time. Especially when you see 14 views and no reviews.  Anyway, that's my little rant for the morning.   D.

13 Years Ago

I agree. I may not be the most experienced writer on the cafe, but I try and share what I know. If it helps I am happy.

13 Years Ago

You don't have to be an experienced writer to give your opinion in what you like or not. I like to have opinions of every reader, because experienced writers aren't the only ones who read. In the more technical grammar ambit, that's a different story...   I also found that reading others works you start to develop new ideas, I think it has to be with the way the brain is functioning while reading. Even when you are not consciously thinking about your writing anymore a part of your brain still does, and while reading it may find new ideas that fit to your story.