NERD EMPIRE : Forum : Let's discuss our favorite ner..

Let's discuss our favorite nerd... movies, hobbies, writings and much more!

11 Years Ago

So I'm a super fan of the RPG Dungeons and Dragons. I'm considered an "old school gamer" 
Anyone else share in this hobby or would like to share about nerdy things they enjoy? :) 

Re: Let's discuss our favorite nerd... movies, hobbies, writings and much more!

11 Years Ago

Yeah, I was an old school gamer back in the 1990s!
The book "Unsung Heroes" I'm working on is based on a Dragonlance game I DMed!
What RPG campaign setting do you use?
In addition to D&D we played Civilization, and all kinds of computer games from before computers had graphics.  I think I'm one of like 2 people on earth who got the reference to "Zork" in the pilot of the TV show "Chuck"

10 Years Ago

Lol! Zork. I don't know the reference, but the work makes me chuckle. :) 

I play 3.5 and 4th edition Dungeons and dragons right now. Though I have played 2nd. :) I really enjoy table top gaming and the interaction with other nerds face to face. :) 

Tell me about civilization? Was it a d20 based game? 

10 Years Ago

Back before there were graphics and computers were just invented and used by very few people, there was Zork, a text based game.  You type "n" to go north and then it says "you are in a clearing there's a tree." then you type "climb tree" etc. Considering computers were rare, you have to be a serious dork to know about that game.

Civilization was kind of like risk, a giant board game, but with cards too.  It could easily take 20 hours to play.  You could develop different aspects, like agriculture, democracy, metallurgy, monotheism etc and they had impacts on the spread of civilization, competing with you friends to take over the world. In retrospect, it propagated the entirely false idea that there was a stadial development (eg from panthesim to monotheism) and that that had game-theory implications for the spread of one civilization over another. So yeah, it was kind of intellectually and ethically wrong.  But it was still a fun game.

10 Years Ago

I loved being a 90's kid, I got to grow up and watch technology evolve. Till date i'm a hardcore gamer, hitting a vast amount of rpg's, mmorpg's, fps's, and  moba generic games. Some of my all time favorite nerdy movies are probably ; 
Weird Science, Back to the future, the matrix, Akira, Minority report, star wars, star trek.. OMG I could go on, heh.  Kind of all I do is write, game and watch movies. 
Looking forward to enjoying this groups creativity and making some amazing new inspiring friends. 

10 Years Ago

My name is AJJordan and I'm a World of Warcraft junkie. This is my first meeting,so...is the tea and coffee free?

I think RPG's and good MMORPGS go hand in hand with a love of fantasy. I know there are many good online RPG's out there but because of my WoW "condition" I really don't have the time to experience them. One addiction is enough for me...:(

Although...I'm really liking the upcoming Elder Scrolls Online MMO. I played Oblivion and Skyrim on the XBox so I think I'd instantly fall in love with this when it comes out.