Nietzsche : Forum : I'll tell you about mr N.

I'll tell you about mr N.

16 Years Ago

He was a funny guy. Those books are full of jokes, some which translate and some which don't. His sister hijacked his memory, may she rot in hell. He died poor lonely and insane and so will you unless you remember to balance your Mr N. with a healthy dose of tao te ching.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Sounds good to me. Aren't the Kaufman translations pretty apt for giving background? I think for us that Nietzche is going to be as close as we can get to the Dao Te Ching. But, I'm glad you're pointing out that he is a very witty writer and not Mr. Gloom.

Quote:
Originally posted by The Ern Malley Project
He was a funny guy. Those books are full of jokes, some which translate and some which don't. His sister hijacked his memory, may she rot in hell. He died poor lonely and insane and so will you unless you remember to balance your Mr N. with a healthy dose of tao te ching.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

poor, lonely and insane...Welcome to Genius Land - here's your brochure lol...One can go the other way and live like Kant whom people used to set their watch by - Yeah, his sister was a chimp - but that's women for you lol...how is that for mysogyny!

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Reading Kant is funny really, it is like this endless monologue that never ends with just the same point over and over again. I mean don't get me wrong, Kant had some really brilliant ideas, his ideas will always be important but did he have to waste all that space of pages? I find the same thing with Hobbes, his Leviathan is brilliant, but the boring passages in between the good parts ... if it is worse than Plato's Republic it is too much! But then I think that people like Kant just 'believed' that there could be a proof of philosophical truth; but then I like it that philosophy is not exact; that philosophy is like art ... it is reflective.
Nietzsche will probably be forevermore misunderstood; but then philosophy is hermeneuticism par excellence, you're reading of x is right, yours is wrong ... but then x is dead not? Who is to tell? Of course does not mean that we can not try and achieve somekind of a consensus. I think that people who take away the interpretaion of Nietzsche as this pessimistic lunatic are correct because I do not think that Nietzsche was this sad figure; he would have been sad had he stayed on as a professor, had he remained stuck within the academy not being allowed to freely express himself.
I think Nietzsche's embrace of Dionysus (especially in his definition) tells us enough of his mood; a certain how we laughed attitude, because how do we utilize the hammer? What are the physics/harmonics of the hammer? His hermetic life was the tower from which he observed, and the necessity of this hermiticism was because to be involved with men is to influence men; so he looked most brilliant at men from atop his iron tower!
And possibly the greatest thing about Nietzsche is that he will always remain important; he is one with the pre-platonic philosophers ... always here and there!

Steven

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Yes, Nietzsche didn't necassarily view tragedy in a bad way, so by those standards, even if Nietzsche's life didn't end in the classic sense, epically or comedically (not funny, but trumphant), it really doesnt' matter because his words endure. Though I think he would be the last advocate for martyrdom as he stated about Jesus: "Jesus's death was a covert suicide."

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Quote:
Originally posted by Alessander
Yes, Nietzsche didn't necassarily view tragedy in a bad way, so by those standards, even if Nietzsche's life didn't end in the classic sense, epically or comedically (not funny, but trumphant), it really doesnt' matter because his words endure. Though I think he would be the last advocate for martyrdom as he stated about Jesus: "Jesus's death was a covert suicide."

Exactly, he really was against teh view of tragedy as a surrender to suffering, affirmation at the end is not to surrender but rather the opposite. Deleuze did a good job in his study of Niezsche of really focussing on active forces versus recative and thus of course for him Nietzsche is very similar to Spinoza and I think he made a good point. To surrender means to give in which ultimately causes a reaction, whereas to affirm is to recognize. to learn to come to understand through which we can initiate appropriate action.
Did Nietzsche really go insane, maybe he went beyond: in-sane.

Steven

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Well, I've personally always favored a good bit of Kant, but Neitzsche has always been one of my favorites.

The first of his I read was "IMPLICIT ZARATHUSTRA" as a translating project for German class, but after that I was hooked. My favorite book of his was definitly "Twilight of the Idols." Nihalistic, sarcastic, analytical, and harshly critical of anything and everything, how could I not love it? : D