Night Syndrome : Forum : Booklovers Cove

Booklovers Cove

15 Years Ago

Please excuse the corny title I used for this thread. I couldn't think of anything else...although it does bring back memories of Crash Team Racing on Playstation 1. Not sure if any of you can recall the game, but if I remember correctly, the first level had something to do with a cove...

Anyways, in this thread, feel free to talk about books you have read. Suggest them, criticise them....knock yourselves out!

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Well, seeing as how no one seems to be interested in recommending some books, I think I'll start off by recommending a book I just finished reading, 'The Bone Magician', by F.E. Higgins. It's a marvellous book, colourful, thrilling, original, a great read before going to sleep, or maybe not, because each chapter is so seductive, you just want to succumb to your curiosity and find out what happens next. You could also try another of the author's books, 'The Black Book of Secrets', which I'm sure all of you have already heard of.

Now, some of you might want to pass these books off as a childish attempt at writing good fiction, especially because of the age span the author, or rather the publishers, have decided to give the book...something like between the ages of 9-12. Don't let this bug you, because it can be enjoyed by people of all ages, that is, as long as you know how to read. Hehe.

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

'Wicca' by Cate Tiernan. In the States I believe the series is called 'Sweep'. It's a collection of fifteen amazing books, revolving around the nature-based religion of Wicca. It tells the story of a teenager named Morgan Rowlands, who pretty much has a very boring, mundane life, nothing out of the ordinary, until she meets Cal Blaire, a new student who has just transferred to the town of Widow's Vale. Through him, Morgan discovers the beauty of Wicca, and consequently, that her life isn't as ordinary as she thought it was.

That's all I can tell you about the main plot without ruining anything. I'll leave you to find out the rest should you choose to read them. They're worth the read, especially for someone who practices Wicca, or for those who are open to every kind of religion. Even if you don't find Wicca interesting, you can have just as much fun reading these books as Morgan gives us a first hand account of how painful it can be discovering the truth about something. Her raw emotions and confused state of mind create a set of novels that are very hard to put down.

Those of you who are very close-minded when it comes to religion, especially those who think that Christianity is the one and only 'correct' religion, I would advise against reading these books, as you might find them 'offensive', for lack of a better word, in the way Morgan chooses Wicca over the religion her family have made her believe in all her life, i.e. Christianity.

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Me, I read far to many books. Lots and Lots. In the year 2007 I read a total of 830 books, counting manga volumes, and asimovs scifi mags as complete books. In the year 2008, I only read 435 books, mainly because I focused mainly on novels, versus manga. This year, so far, I have 409 books under my belt.
Now this thread is for reviewing those books? Recommending some? Ok.
One of my favorite series of all time is the the Queen's Thief series, by Megan Whalen Turner. There are only 3 books out so far, but I believe there will be more. I read this series at least once a year, if not more often. It is a young adult book, but still, they kick butt. I love them. I can't really say why, but I suggest that everyone read it at least once. The first book isn't nearly as good as the others, but I did read it second...or third.
Also, the Kushiel Legacy books by Jacqueline Carey. Right now, the first two trilogies are complete, and she is starting another one. Now, these books are long, and complicated, and not for light reading. They are mainly about the adventures of a masochistic courtesan, who is a spy, and a scholar, and saves her country and the world, several times over. The second trilogy is about her adopted son, but I can't really talk about him without ruining the first trilogy. Anyway, they are a great read, with political intrigue, sex, war, and unique and yet familiar setting, with a fun religion.
Just those two for now.

So right now, I am reading the Locke Lamora books, and the Art of War. Soon, I hope to reread the Wheel of Time. But I don't want to do it to far from when they new book comes out.....and there are gonna be two more books after that, so I am not sure I will reread it at all, at least not this year. That is, if I can stop myself. It has been to long since I read any of them, let alone all of them. I really really want to read them again.

Ok, Ok, thats everything. But seriously, I could post in this thread forever....days and days, pages and pages of posts. I will try not to, ne?

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Lol, you can post whatever you like. It is a book recommendations page after all. If you have just one or two books to recommend, you can do so one post at a time, or if you have many, just to save time, you could list them all. 

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Ok, so I realized that in my last post I only mentioned two series, both AU historical fiction. So this time I will recommend some sci-fi, and next time maybe some fantasy. Now, for mystery, which I am just gonna mention, I suggest you read Sherlock Holmes. I grew up on those stories, as well as others, and I love them. They are mostly short, and perhaps not as ....thrilling?...as new mystery stories, but they are still great reads.

Now, Sci-fi.
Empire of Man series, by John Ringo and David Weber. A great read, one of my faves. I can't wait for more books. A new one shoudl be coming out any year now. A Prince of the Empire gets stuck on a alien planet, with very little technology, and must fight his way across the planet, and capture a spaceport in enemy hands. Then things get difficult. However, he does have a platoon? Company? of Marines with him, and not just any Marines....the best. Its a really good series.

Any Anne McCaffrey books, or Asimov.
Moties, by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.
The Ringworld books, also by Larry Niven. Classic, Unique, well worth the read. Make sure you read them in order. None of this reading the newest and easiest book to find first. That ruins things.

Hmm....I think that is all for now. Although I know I have so many others. Ahh...One more
The Valor books by Tanya Huff. I think the series has a different name, but all the books have the word Valor in them, so it shouldn't be that hard to find what I am talking about.

For a good site to find books by the same authors or what not, check out www.fantasticfiction.co.uk
Great site.

Ok, thats all for now, more later.
Ja

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Well i'm currently working on reading a series and other novels. But the series is the vampire huntress series by L.A. Banks. They're very interesting and i always can't wait to read the next book. I think the first is called Minion. They all center around this girl Damali who is a vampire hunter and a neteru, and how she must stop, the vampire councial from making daywalkers. But right now at this moment i'm reading a book called the Monk by Matthew Gregory Lewis, it's an old school gothic horror novel and i haven't really gotten to far into it but, when i do i'll write a review.

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

The classic tale of 'Frankenstein', by Mary Shelley. This spine-chilling, gothic horror story has sparked fear into the hearts of mortals ever since Shelley put pen to paper when she was only 19 years old, in the hopes of winning a horror writing contest between herself and Lord Byron. Also entitled 'The Modern Prometheus', this story was meant to symbolise the horrors of war, and what experimenting with the unknown can bring about, as can be seen by the dreadful resurrection of corpses, the bulk of which was called the Frankenstein Monster. It is a timeless story, with a batch of themes and symbols, and I strongly recommend it, if not for the remarkable style of Old English used in those times, then for a great horror read nonetheless. Best read at the stroke of midnight while tucked up in bed. I think you'll find yourself searching your closet and the underside of your bed every night before you're through with this novel. :P

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

'The Tower', by Valerio Massimo Manfredi. I bought this book for no particular reason while shopping in a supermarket. No idea why, I guess the book just attracted me. I then began reading it while stuck on a bus during traffic, and I simply couldn't place the book down afterwards. To save some time explaining it myself, I'm just going to quote the blurb of the book:

"Twenty centuries ago, a ferocious, mysterious force hidden in a solitary tower annihilated a squad of Roman soldiers advancing through the Sahara desert. There was a single survivor: the etruscan diviner Avile Vipinas, who later described the horror of the creature in the tower, and suggested how this being could be destroyed.

But just what is the dark being that slumbers in the tower? And who are the fierce desert-dwelling Blemmyae observed by ancient travellers: might they truly exist?

To find the tower and solve its unutterable mystery, three men venture into the heart of the Sahara: an archaeologist following the traces of his father, a colonel from the Foreign Legion thirsting for revenge, and a priest who puts his faith to the ultimate test.

An archaeological thriller and a love story,  aphilosogical puzzle and a mystical enigma, 'The Tower' tells the tale of a proud and fearless people who dared to challenge the root of all evil, against the fascinating backdrop of the birth of the ancient Mediterranean civilisations."

As I'm sure you've already noticed, the book is centered around an archaeological theme, and no wonder, since the Italian author is both an archaeologist and a professor of archaeology at the Luigi Bocconi University in Milan. He has been responsible for several excavations around the Mediterranean, so maybe you've seen him on TV somewhere. This book is certainly worth the read. I consider it to be a mixture of Indiana Jones and The Da Vinci Code, only better! Other books of Manfredi include the 'Alexander' series, 'The Oracle', and 'Empire of Dragons', as well as the popular 'The Last legion', which was made into a film starring Colin Firth and Sir Ben Kingsley.

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

F. E. Higgins has just published her latest novel, 'The Eyeball Collector'. I haven't finished it yet, but it is just as thrilling as her previous two novels. Dark and gothic, it hooks the reader  instantaneously. Definitely a book worth reading! :)

Re: Booklovers Cove

14 Years Ago

'The Legend of the Crystal Lens' by Samantha Graves. Another random book I came across while shopping in a supermarket. (Yes, this is something I do a lot. Going into a bookstore or a supermarket and buying a book you've never even heard of, and just dealing with it. It really brings out the unique qualities of every book.)

It's an Indiana Jones meets Tomb Raider kind of novel, and I must say it's quite gripping. It's simply amazing to see how the writer makes each character evolve. In the beginning, Simon Bonner and Jillian Talbot, our protagonists, seem like two ordinary people going about their daily jobs...Simon is a tomb-raider and Jillian is a museum curator with the power to see an object's history just by looking at it. Convinced?

If not, then you will be if you decide to buy a copy of this thrilling and 'steamy' read. Trust me, I'm not one for sex scenes, and I rarely ever get distracted by them, but this one in particular made me miss my bus. Hehe.

13 Years Ago

Originally posted by Mr. Misanthrope
'Wicca' by Cate Tiernan. In the States I believe the series is called 'Sweep'. It's a collection of fifteen amazing books, revolving around the nature-based religion of Wicca. It tells the story of a teenager named Morgan Rowlands, who pretty much has a very boring, mundane life, nothing out of the ordinary, until she meets Cal Blaire, a new student who has just transferred to the town of Widow's Vale. Through him, Morgan discovers the beauty of Wicca, and consequently, that her life isn't as ordinary as she thought it was.

That's all I can tell you about the main plot without ruining anything. I'll leave you to find out the rest should you choose to read them. They're worth the read, especially for someone who practices Wicca, or for those who are open to every kind of religion. Even if you don't find Wicca interesting, you can have just as much fun reading these books as Morgan gives us a first hand account of how painful it can be discovering the truth about something. Her raw emotions and confused state of mind create a set of novels that are very hard to put down.

Those of you who are very close-minded when it comes to religion, especially those who think that Christianity is the one and only 'correct' religion, I would advise against reading these books, as you might find them 'offensive', for lack of a better word, in the way Morgan chooses Wicca over the religion her family have made her believe in all her life, i.e. Christianity.

I'd just like to thank Mr. Misanthrope for recommending that series :) I actually really enjoyed reading it, although it drove me insane after I had read the 6th book; they were published quite a few years ago now and, whilst I found that the first 6 had been re-published, I had real trouble getting hold of the 7th and 9th book - even the library didn't have them!! But yes, I truly enjoyed reading it :) thanks again!

13 Years Ago

'The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde' by Robert Louis Stevenson. This classic short story by the man who brought us 'Treasure Island' weaves a tale of intrigue and terror, of science fiction and abominations. Dr Henry Jekyll is an inquisitive scientist/doctor who has always been interested in the nature of good and evil embedded in every human being, until one day, he manages to create a potion that will enable him to separate his good side from his evil one. However, evil proves more powerful, and before long, Jekyll has become addicted to ingesting this potion without hesitation, allowing his evil side some freedom. The sinister yet seductive Mr Hyde prowls the streets of London at night, whilst friends of Jekyll wonder who his mysterious companion is.

Delving deep into the concepts of dualism, this story should not be missed. It's only a few pages long; worth spending a day or two pondering over its theories!

13 Years Ago

'The Handmaid's Tale' by Margaret Atwood. What the author describes as speculative fiction has quickly gained popularity as a treasure trove for critical analysis concerning religion, feminism and gender roles, racism, and the effects of science on our ecological environment. The story is recounted by Offred, a Handmaid living in the totalitarian theocracy of Gilead. Gilead is the end-product of puritan philosophy, mainly, the literal belief in the Old Testament of the Bible.

Degradation of the physical environment and nuclear radiation has killed the majority of the world, resulting in a drop in birth rates. Many women have been left sterile; those who are still fertile are sent off to Red Centres, where Gilead's philosophies are internalised as they are trained to become Handmaids: one of the many categories of women in this novel (the others being Wives, Marthas, Jezebels, and Aunts) who are given assigned households (which consist of a Commander and a Wife) in which they are forced to birth the child of said Commander during the climactic 'mating ceremony'.

Offred (whose real name is June - the Commander of the household she has been assigned to is called Fred, so she belongs to Fred, that is, 'Of Fred'), once a free and intelligent woman, has now lost her independence to the oppressive state. Living under the ever-watchful gaze of Commander Fred, the household's Wife, Serena Joy, and a growing, forbidden love interest in a Guardian, Nick, Offred describes her every day routine in the household from hell, where suicide is not an option, and where she must either give in to Gilead's oppression, or risk ending up in the Colonies cleaning up toxic waste, left to die a slow death.

A must-read!! One of the first on the list of Canadian Literature, 'The Handmaid's Tale' has become a frightening novel of life, death, and possibilities.