Novels & Short Stories : Forum : Expand and Make Friends

Expand and Make Friends

13 Years Ago

Don't get me wrong I love this site.I just feel like it could use some more interaction besides reviews and comments.Wouldn't it be nice if you could like voice your opinion for new books to people other than your mom or your cat? Well I think we could try to have skype conferences with each other.For the serious writers we could really turn this into a more professional ,but fun atmosphere.

Re: Expand and Make Friends

13 Years Ago

Originally posted by HappyAccident
Don't get me wrong I love this site.I just feel like it could use some more interaction besides reviews and comments.Wouldn't it be nice if you could like voice your opinion for new books to people other than your mom or your cat? Well I think we could try to have skype conferences with each other.For the serious writers we could really turn this into a more professional ,but fun atmosphere.
I love the idea, but it is hard... I mean most people may like writing, but honestly... There are a lot of people on this site who have a lot of issues with writing... I like honest reviews and comments I'm not sure if I have been getting them, but to make a site professional, and find the serious writers we would almost have to redue the whole site... which isn't ours to do..

13 Years Ago

Originally posted by HappyAccident

I totally agree. I for one love to write on my free time. I know I'll never be a paid author (that is not a goal of mine) but I do enjoy expressing myself in writing. I honestly do not care if people comment my stories but I love to see views so at least I have hope that what I've written has been read by someone in this world. This site seems to have died down from the last year and that is a shame. This website really has potential if they would expand it.

13 Years Ago

I think the reason the site has died down is because of all the people who just use it to make friends. Also, It needs work, there are still a lot of things that need to be changed about this site, but I for one believe this is the best thing that has ever happened for my writing. I might have quit a long time ago if it weren't for this site.

13 Years Ago

I agree with Ashley and Taylor.
People use this website to make friends for escapism rather than to be a serious writer.
Most people on this website don't know how to write.

To make it worse, if you say you don't like something, or that you don't understand a poem, you either get blocked or an aggravated private message.

People on this website like anything, there's nothing that anyone doesn't like on this website. Everything that is posted is αмαzιηg or αωєѕσмє or тнє bєѕт. My friend posted his worst poem and everyone liked it.
For that reason, I do not respect everyone's opinion on this website. There are some people who review my work, who if they say it's good, I will disregard their comment.

I hate how when I send read requests, most people delete the stories and only read the poems.

This thread has made me make two new groups. Serious writers, and Help with writing.

13 Years Ago

Originally posted by desbest
I agree with Ashley and Taylor.
People use this website to make friends for escapism rather than to be a serious writer.
Most people on this website don't know how to write.

To make it worse, if you say you don't like something, or that you don't understand a poem, you either get blocked or an aggravated private message.

People on this website like anything, there's nothing that anyone doesn't like on this website. Everything that is posted is αмαzιηg or αωєѕσмє or тнє bєѕт. My friend posted his worst poem and everyone liked it.
For that reason, I do not respect everyone's opinion on this website. There are some people who review my work, who if they say it's good, I will disregard their comment.

I hate how when I send read requests, most people delete the stories and only read the poems.

This thread has made me make two new groups. Serious writers, and Help with writing.

Not true that "there's nothing that anyone doesn't like on this website."  Lots of people dislike my fiction.  Could be because I write sci-fi and fantasy - you know, those genres your mother warned you about because they'll rot your brain and make you unable to get a real job.  (Okay, maybe it was MY mother who said that... *rolls eyes*  I'm not unemployed because I have a serious physical disability, I'm unemployed because I read too much sci-fi and it has made me the world's first retard with an IQ of 160.)   Funny - my friend posted a bad poem deliberately, and everyone liked that, too.  (It was for an experiment on whether poetry on WC really does get more reviews, and more positive reviews, than prose.  The short answer:  Yes.)   I get hate mail for being a proofreader.  (Here's a hint - if you don't want that, don't send a review request to someone whose profile starts with "I'm a proofreader."  D'uh.)  But for everyone who sends a nasty message in response to the review I gave them (usually along the lines of "How dare you say that I need to use end punctuation in dialgoue?  Who do you think you are?  If you could write at all, you would know that writing fiction is about self-expression, not grammar!"  Except not nearly as coherently written, of course - I just don't feel up to imitating bad writing at the moment), there are 3 others who sought me out because I proofread, and they're happy for the help.   When someone sends me a review request for poetry, I'll send them a message and explaian that I DON'T REVIEW POETRY - just like it says in my profile - but I'll be happy to review any prose they have.  Usually they keep sending requests for poetry, though, at which point I start ignoring them.   Making friends with fellow writers is a good thing.  We all need encouragement and support from people who know what it's like, after all.  The problem comes in when people want ONLY support and encouragement, without friends also telling them that they still need to improve a bit... No one gets better by being told that they're already perfect.