Novels & Short Stories : Forum : New to this community and woul..

New to this community and would like guidance on staying committed to my projects

7 Years Ago

Hi, 

I've been an "amateur writer" since I was in 8th grade. I put that in quotations because I don't think I've done anything that warrants even calling myself amateur. My writing skills have improved immensely since I first started, but of course there's always room for improvement. 

I have two ideas that I have almost entirely thought out, but one of them I put on the back burner for personal reasons. I'm very excited about the other one, but my problem is that I have no idea where to start. I don't know what my style is right now, and every time I try to get started I end up hating what I write. My understanding is that I should just power through and finish the first draft, and THEN worry about touching it up. However, doing this (at least for me) is a lot easier said than done. 

Anyway, I'm more than willing to share the idea that I have. Like I said, I have it mostly thought out. There are still rooms for minor changes and additions, but the overall story is pretty much set. I just need someone to help keep me committed. I generally have the willpower to tough through most things I deal with in life, but for some reason I can't channel this into my writing. 

Looking forward to integrating myself into this community.

EDIT: Not sure how easy it is to access my writings on this site. Here is my first chapter of the story I'm actively working on: