Questions on life and writing : Forum : I just joined group because I ..

[reply] [quote]

I just joined group because I read through these questions and enjoyed it. Here's mine:

13 Years Ago

Why does everyone assume I am the speaker in all of my poems?  and, Is it really worth it, if all you are going to say in a review is: Nice poem!?
[reply] [quote]

Re: I just joined group because I read through these questions and enjoyed it. Here's mine:

13 Years Ago

Oh, man, had the same problem so many times!! Sometimes, people just don't understand existentialism. I had a friend say to me he was interested in reading my work because it was my view of things. It's not! I write as a character, it's not me! If people can't understand that, then as far as I'm concerned we're all screwed. 

I hate reviews like that, I really, really do. If I get a review that just says " I like it, it's good! You're awesome!" I tend to just ignore it. Ok, so they liked it, but that's not really a review is it? Part of the problem, though is that far to many people just want to hear that. I have reviewed pieces and given a fair critique, but have then been verbally assaulted because all the writer wants to hear is that they're great and their writing is brilliant. Sometimes, people probably do that because they don't want the author to fly off the handle. Which I can understand. 

[reply] [quote]

Re: I just joined group because I read through these questions and enjoyed it. Here's mine:

13 Years Ago

Because when people are writing sad poems that use the word I, 99% of the time, they are talking about their own personal experiences.
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

Most of the time anyone can relate to a poem, so even if you write it as a diffrent person, you can still relate to your own poem. I think it is wrong to say they are your point of view, because each poem is taken differently by each person. The only time I think of it as if it is that person is when I know that person and want to help (usually when they write about dying, and such) I want to make sure that they are not honestly feeling like that. I understand the writing as a character, I don't even review myself as a human, just a character, who's life is somewhere being written down.
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

I had that problem when I was little. I wrote these dark little poems and everybody ALWAYS thought it was me and I had to say like about 10 mil times that I'm writing in character people! Surely it was annoying, but so far, I don't get that anymore so I can't relate. 

As for the review thing, well, I don't want to offend people and it's SOOOOO hard when the author doesn't leave a note that states what to critic on or if it's a personal poem. Therefore, I end up reviewing on something that the author didn't want criticism on and I look like a jerk. I did that one time and got a lot of thumbs down. Because when I critic, I break it down, what I didn't understand, diction, imagery, all that. 
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

Originally posted by Sugar
I had that problem when I was little. I wrote these dark little poems and everybody ALWAYS thought it was me and I had to say like about 10 mil times that I'm writing in character people! Surely it was annoying, but so far, I don't get that anymore so I can't relate. 

As for the review thing, well, I don't want to offend people and it's SOOOOO hard when the author doesn't leave a note that states what to critic on or if it's a personal poem. Therefore, I end up reviewing on something that the author didn't want criticism on and I look like a jerk. I did that one time and got a lot of thumbs down. Because when I critic, I break it down, what I didn't understand, diction, imagery, all that. 

You get thumbs down for giving a proper review?! I don't tell people what to critique on because I want it to come entirely from them. And everything up on my page is fair game for critiques. That's why its there!