Rapture : Forum : Rapture

Rapture

9 Years Ago

The undersea city created by Andrew Ryan

A Day in Rapture

9 Years Ago

Ivan: Since I'd begun listening to them for the last half hour, since I'd stumbled into them during one of my usual scouting routines to keep check of my territory, I knew there were three of them. From where I peeked over a small pile of rubble, I knew that over in the plaza were three very moody, very hostile, very unpredictable splicers.

How did little old me know this?

Well, the trio of splicers/plasmid crazies in question were not exactly the most polite of individuals. There were two men - grotesquely mutated oafs with rags for clothing - accompanied by a young woman - a ghoulish female whom was more of a rat than anything else. During the last thirty minutes I'd watched them, the three supposed accomplices in crime had scowled, snarled, yelled plenty of curses as well as even threatened each other with death for the littlest things.

Yet, where most sensible people would have found the behavior if not appearances of the splicers most horrifying, it was something I - Ivan Devinchi - had grown all too accustomed to today. For several years back, where this city had formerly been prosperous, the terrible civil war between Andrew Ryan and the common peoples had come to an end. And now, well, what I saw before me had been the end result of the fighting; madness, chaos, every man/woman for themselves.

Mind, I wasn't like these crazy splicers folks at the moment whom had somehow bagged themselves a Big Daddy and were now furious over not having found any ADAM on the deceased lug. I wasn't addicted to turning myself inside out for unlimited power like they were nor was I interested in hunting down the little ones known as Little Sisters for whatever purpose. No, I was Ivan, I was me, I was normal for the most part and didn't go around sticking myself with every little plasmid I'd seen for the last number of years.

Here in the collapsing industry sector of Rapture, despite the impossible odds, I'd scraped out a living amid the wreckage left behind since the civil war. Today, I was perhaps and would forever be the only sensible, non-splicer guy under the freaking sea.

Well, I should put that I was normal lightly. For here in Rapture, nothing was normal. Not even... me, which I was about to show the three screaming loonies who were invading my territory at the moment. Yes, with my pistol loaded, my shotgun in my hands and my combat knife strapped onto my waist, something explosive was about to happen for sure.

And then it happened. Only, heh... it ended up being that I didn't have to do anything. Not when the splicers I'd been watching activated some kind of explosive rigging in the Big Daddy's suit and were blown to pieces? Yes, after I took a second look along with actually walked out into the seared blast zone to see the charred bodies of the splicers, that seemed to be what transpired.

Hah, how ironic, no? No matter. Just like danger, irony was something more than well known in the underwater citadel of Rapture here. Or perhaps, seeing as I was the only intelligent person around, maybe it was only me who knew that fact all too well.

Either way, putting away my shotgun and checking my surroundings, I chose a direction... and began scouting my territory again. Excuse my sick sense of humor but at least this day in Rapture had begun on a funnier note than most.

Re: Rapture

9 Years Ago

Alpha: I lumber through the halls with a little one riding on my shoulder. I kill whatever fool tries to take away my little one then protect her while she takes the ADAM from their corpse. However this was not the little sister I was bonded to. She doesn't see it that way and for now my body won't be shutting down anytime soon, but I must find my daughter who that woman known as Lamb took from me. I've heard from the splicers that Andrew Ryan and Lamb are working together. I must find them and retrieve her. I set down my little one and she begins taking the ADAM. I prepare fore the splicers by taking control on the security cameras and setting down trap Rivets.  After my set up is complete I notice a splicer and ready my drill. Only this splicer didn't look like the others. I let out a roar and charge him.

Into the Fray

9 Years Ago

Ivan: Naturally, although the day had started out on a good note with three splicers having blown themselves to bits moments ago... that didn't mean the rest of the day was due to be as good. Having survived so many years down in Rapture, I was very familiar with that truth. However, today, things were fated to be quite intriguing if not exciting.

Like, how was I now in the middle of a fearsome fight consisting of an older than old Big Daddy protecting his charge, his Little Sister, from a group of rampaging splicers? Not only that, how was it that I and not the splicers was being targeted most by the Big Daddy?

You see, after I'd observed the three splicers blow themselves apart by having triggered a trap in their fallen Big Daddy, I knew that they'd been looking around for a certain something. No, a certain someone; a little someone known as the ADAM harvesting Little Sister. And she had been why I'd been watching them intently too. If they'd discovered a little sister, well, it would've been my opportunity to rescue the tike, get her to a ventilation shaft and then - as the rumors went - be rewarded for having saved her from danger.

So, coolly and with a happy jump to my step, without any distractions in my way, I'd gone off investigating the area for the Little Sister who had lost her Big Daddy guardian. I had searched for only a half hour when the worst din of noise had erupted some distance away from to the left. What had really grabbed my attention then and there had been one shrill scream through the air.

"DADDY!!!"

Of course, the voice had belonged to a Little Sister. Her use of the word DADDY meant only one thing at the moment; her guardian was in conflict with enemies and most likely in need of aid. So, with a loading of my shotgun, with a speeding up in my step, even though I knew a Big Daddy was unpredictable, I ran straight into the fight. Or, put better, I ran straight into the Big Daddy under attack who - with a roar of surprise perhaps, a beats of a man dressed in the oldest model armor I'd ever seen - nearly cut me clean in half with a revving drill!

Fortunately, I evaded the drilling weapon. However, I was knocked clean off my feet next when the Daddy punched me with his free hand. Then, I rolled aside when he looked to stomp me like a bug!

At this point, I had every reason to defend myself. I had the right to start firing at the beast looking to harm me. However, seeing as I'd been down in this city for forever, I knew it wasn't common sense that made the Daddy strike me but reflex. I wasn't the Big Lug's enemy nor was he mine. Thus, with a burst of speed, I scampered towards some distant cover to reduce my threat level.

As for the Little Sister, I had to quickly get her in my sights. That or the assaulting splicers would get a hold of her and, well... There would go my reward and there would go the protective Big Daddy's sanity for sure.

9 Years Ago

Alpha: The splicer dodges my drill and quickly runs away. I ignore him as my trap rivets begin killing other splicers. I quickly make my way back to my little sister only to find that odd splicer making his way towards her. I make it to her first and let out another roar, but as a warning. Then set up a circle of trap rivets and the usual type of Splicers quickly cross and are killed by the rivets and then by me. One jumps on my back and I quickly throw him of and stomp his head in. More keep coming and I use my last resort and use 'Winter Blast' to freeze and shatter them. The odd splicer doesn't cross the circle I had set up so I leave him be. My little sister finished her job and I quickly put her back on my shoulder. I kill the rest of the splicers and slowly lumber past the odd splicer as I head to a Vent Shaft. As I make my way to the nearest Vent Shaft I see a Bathosphere coming down to the city. I watch for a moment then keep going. As it would happen the Bathosphere surfaces right next to me as I drop off the little sister. I knew the reward would appear here soon, but I was more concerned with the bathosphere. I watch as it opens and I see several surface dwellers unconscious and lying on the floor of the bathosphere.

Moving Forward

9 Years Ago

Ivan: When I retreated a good distance, it came as a slight surprise to me that the Big Daddy didn't exactly pursue me all the way to my hiding place. Instead, the beast seemed to understand that I didn't want to be a threat and assumed his former position of defending his Little Sister. In turn, even though I was throbbing with numbing pain from the Big Daddy's blow minutes ago, I did my best to fend off what Splicers I could.

Mind, with only myself and the Big Daddy fighting off the scavengers, the odds seemed somewhat against us. And it didn't exactly help that this certain Daddy in question looked, well... ANCIENT. Like, seriously, since the end of the civil war, I'd seen the latest models of the Big Daddy guardians stomping around Rapture looking tougher than tough. Yet, this guardian at the moment... yes, he was bashing up splicers good but he also appeared somewhat feeble.

Perhaps the title ALPHA upon his armor had something to do with his older appearance? It sounded somewhat familiar, true.

Quickly, I came out of my reveries when a splicer literally flew over my head and smashed into the rubble behind me. Whistling an impressed whistle under my breath, I finished off the hapless victim with a blast of my shotgun. Then, feeling more impressed I observed something else that was different compared to this ALPHA daddy than the others; intelligence. Indeed, with several motions, ALPHA daddy conceived a circle of what appeared to be Trap Rivets around himself and his Little Sister. In turn, the frantic splicers who came running... were torn into pieces by the well placed rivets.

Honestly, I didn't exactly have an opportunity to be a hero. Not when the ALPHA daddy froze everything around him, smashed the enemies apart, scooped up his Little Sister, gave me - ME - a long stare, than ran off in some direction. Curiously, I gave chase. Where myself as well as the daddy ended up was predictable; a vent shaft. And there, the Little Sister was allowed to scramble off into the darkness to safety.

From where I was watching, I felt many questions building up in my conscious about this ALPHA daddy. For one, he didn't seem like the brute I'd predicted. Two, despite the odds against him, he'd fought just as fiercely as any other. Three, I had to be crazy but... could I perhaps talk to him and even be spoken back to?

HAH! What a day this was turning out to be! Was I truly so desperate for human contact that I was willing to try to communicate with a Big Daddy? Apparently so.

Yet, as I began to come out of my hiding place to try my theory with Mr. ALPHA, I became instantly distracted by something else; the arrival of a Bathosphere from the outside world. Something I thought would only happen NEVER. And as for what was inside the sphere in question, well... it had to have an outsider inside. Someone who I could see, speak with, maybe even get me out of this place!

Without second thoughts, I swiftly made my way downwards to investigate.

9 Years Ago

Alpha: As the odd splicer goes toward the Bathosphere I follow, equally curious about what Andrew Ryan would want with a surface dweller now.

The Fly and the Spider

9 Years Ago

Ivan: I really should have been more careful while approaching the Bathosphere in question. I maybe should have turned right around and walked back to my hideout in the factory sector when, not a few feet before the entrance of the bathosphere, there was blood upon the walkway. And only several more feet to my right, floating his way face down in the water... well, there was a very dead and very unfortunate fellow for me to see along with wonder about.

Then, with a scream from above that belonged to something that wasn't human, my luck took a sky dive down into terrible when a female figure literally almost appeared from thin air on top of me. Somehow, due to my instincts perhaps, I nearly ducked away from the hooks the woman attackers furiously swung at me. Next, somehow again avoiding danger, I fell backwards and rolled onto my feet as my enemy lunged.

I fired. Not only that, I cursed under my breath... along with maybe soiled myself as my foe's right side disappeared within a blink. And as I steadied myself wit my shotgun in the crook of my arm in turn, my attacker - a most messed up Spider Splicer woman - leaped away into the darkness. From there, she did not sound pained but humored. From there, she mocked me.

"Another fly joins the game... Another fly comes to play... Another fly for my web... to do with as I please."

Mind, I was used to this kid of talk from Splicers. Especially from Spider Splicers. For Spiders were the most mutated, crazed individuals of Rapture. Well, them and Houdini Splicers but whatever. Right now, I wasn't focused on madness. I was focused on staying alive as well as finding out what was in the Bathosphere. Hopefully whoever inside was still alive. Not mutilated like the poor fellow floating face down in the water next to me.

"There's another fly in that ball of iron... It only makes sense that the flies would come together to face me..." I heard the Spider Splicer cackle from somewhere in the dark, "But no matter what, flies don't eat spiders... No, it's the spiders that eat the - EEYAAAAAAAGH!"

I maybe soiled myself again when a group of helicopter like guard bots flew from nowhere, turned on their search lights, located my foe and then opened fire. The Spider Splicer gave another horrible screech, climbed up nearby rubble, jumped into the ceiling, then vanished from sight. In turn, the guard bots gave chase, vanishing into the shadows.

Now, again, alive, I was alone with the Bathosphere. However, the thing looked to be in a pretty banged up shape. How was I to get inside and find out if the passenger or passengers were alive?

There was no way I could get inside the floating sphere. Not without force, anyway. A good DEAL of force, anyhow, from some kind of... drill?

I looked around me, located the ALPHA daddy actually watching me from afar, and did something I never thought I'd do in ever.

"Hey, Big Daddy." I shouted, "Alpha, think you could come here and lend a wuss like me a hand? That drill of yours would really help cut through this door at the moment."

9 Years Ago

Alpha: After watching the Spider Splicer get chased off by the security drones I hear something strange. It was the odd splicer asking for help. I slowly lumber towards him keeping my drill to my side as I considered my options. This splicer didn't attack me to get to the little one. In fact he helped me kill other splicers. He doesn't seem to wish mean harm either..... I stand in front of him, looking down at him. He wasn't mutated like the others. Could he be like the woman who wishes to save the little ones? I move him out of the way as gently as I could and begin drilling into the bathosphere.

Looking Inside

9 Years Ago

Ivan: It was the last thing I thought that would ever happen to me but I was actually being helped by Big Daddy ALPHA after I'd asked him. Seriously, as expected when I had requested him for help moments ago, he had seemed a bit cautious about the ordeal. Yet, after several moments of us having stared at each other, he'd approached, moved me aside along with begun to drill into the Bathosphere that needed opening. In the meantime, as sparks flashed around us, I did my best to not get in the way.

Truly, although clearly an old model of a Big Daddy, Alpha did indeed have intellect if not wisdom on his side. He wasn't directly linked only to a Little Sister but he could listen to as well as understand what others wanted of him. Like now for instance. He'd heard my need for help and was now helping me. How very... unexpected this day was turning out to be in Rapture.

After several moments of working silence where ALPHA drilled his way through several layers of metal as well as lock mechanisms and I watched the surroundings for anymore, yeesh, spidey enemies, the Bathosphere popped open with a straining of metal. In turn, ALPHA stepped aside, allowing me access to his work which turned out to be very well done.

What awaited me inside of the Bathosphere, I could not say. What would be inside wasn't to ALPHA's knowledge either, I knew. Either way, I held my shotgun ready for any trouble as I dragged the sphere's heavy door open... and peeked inside the dark interior.

"Hello? Anybody here?" I murmured, looking intently into the darkness for any movement, "Look, I drove away the former welcoming party. Trust me, I'm a whole lot better."

There was no reply to my words for a moment. ALPHA gave me a scare when he grunted to himself. Why the Big Daddy was sticking around, I didn't know but... it was heartening to see he hadn't departed yet. Not only that, his presence no doubt scared away any watching enemies.

And then, I finally saw someone in the darkness of the Bathosphere. It was a young man, very shaken. He held only a radio closely to his chest. As for why the stranger looked so scared of everything around him at the moment, I wasn't confused. He was probably going through the same shocks I had gone through at the end of the civil war years back.

Plus, before I'd got here, perhaps he had seen the Spider Splicer... tear up the floating man right in front of his Bathosphere. How nice.

"Hey, buddy, I'm not going to tear you apart or anything. If I'd wanted to do that, I would've done it already, you know." I reassured the hiding man, lowering my shotgun, "I know the situation here is crazy and that we just met but my name is Ivan."

I held out my hand to the man in the Bathosphere. It wasn't a demand or anything for him to take my friendly gesture. It was a simple request which was eventually answered when the shaken man with the radio allowed me to help him outside into the dank, shadowy underwater city.

"My name... My name is Jack." The mystery man said to me, shaking visibly, "Jack Heralding."

"A pleasure." I replied, holding Jack up a moment, "Uh, wait a second. I have to make sure of something before you... come out of there. Don't worry, I'll be right back. promise."

I stepped back out of the Bathosphere and faced ALPHA who, as the giant he was, looked down at me like I was insignificant. Trying not to lose my nerve with the behemoth towering over me, I had one thing to say.

"We have a, er, guest. Let's make a good first impression, okay?"

9 Years Ago

Alpha: I see the strange man inside the bathosphere and know my presence would scare him so I walk away a bit towards the vent shaft and taking off my drill so that I had both hands free banged on the shaft three times. A little sister poked her head out and I helped her out. After setting her down My head begin to ache and I grunt in pain as I grasp my helmet and see a vision of my true little one- Eleanor Lamb She tells me that my help with the little ones was greatly affecting Ryan's and Lamb's plan and that there would be yet another surface dweller coming soon. She says that the man called Jack and this other surface dweller would be vital to my getting her back. The vision ends and the little asks with concern, " Are you all right mister bubbles?" I rub her head softly and moan softly. She smiles and holds her hands up. I pick her up and place her on my shoulder. Who was this other Surface Dweller and what role they would play is beyond me.
( Lucy will be joining us. So If you would go ahead and take control of Jack.)

Jack Heralding

9 Years Ago

Ivan: The story that this Jack Heralding had to tell me turned out to be quite the typical tale of bad luck gone completely wrong. Apparently, before his having come to Rapture by complete accident, Jack had been on his way to England to visit his cousins. However, halfway there, his plane had decided to take a nose dive straight down into the sea where he'd barely survived, found a tower and then used the Bathosphere to get, well, here with me; Rapture.

Unsurprisingly, like perhaps the rest of the surface worlders, Jack had no idea that there was the remnant of this ruined city sitting directly at the bottom of the ocean. In my opinion, with the way thing s had been here for the last number of years, the outside world was better off not knowing about Rapture. And as for Jack at the moment, it was unfortunate that he was now stuck down here. Truly, it was.

Only I knew at the moment how terrible things were going to be for Mr. Heralding in the future. Maybe that's why I'd immediately taken a kind of liking to the guy and wanted to make sure he lived to see another day rather than... have his head beat in by the random splicers around her.

What I found most intriguing about Jack was the radio he had in his hands. Apparently, before my arrival where the female spider splicer had attempted to gut me like the unfortunate fellow before me, someone had contacted Jack. That someone had called himself Atlas, a name that I was vaguely familiar with... but never thought to hear said by a surface dweller.

During the years of the civil war for Rapture, Atlas had been a leader for the common folk who had opposed Andrew Ryan's tyrannical rule. In the end, everyone who had fought Andrew had supposedly died or left Rapture behind. Now, though, I was most curious to know if the leader of the common people, Atlas, was still walking around this ruined citadel. And if he was, how in the world had I not heard from him until now?

Regardless, Jack had explained to me earlier that Atlas was in need of help and needed someone to find a way to the far sector of Neptune's Bounty; a place I hadn't ever planned on going near without good reason. Well, here was my reason, no?

I was intrigued enough to give Jack Heralding my help throughout Rapture. I had intended to introduce him to ALPHA as well but... that big daddy had gone his own way with another Little Sister it seemed.

Yet, with or without a Little Sister burdening him, I'm sure that Alpha won't lose track of me in this area. Thus, being sure to leave signs behind me to be followed, I began guiding uncertain Jack through the paths I thought best that would take us the easiest to Neptune's Bounty.

9 Years Ago

Alpha: With my little one in tow I make my way back to the Bathosphere to mind marking telling me to head to Neptune's bounty. The little one said she could still smell the ' Surface angel' and ran off to find him. I stayed close by until she ran into him and the odd splicer. I quickly make my way to them and pick up the little one. She says she sees an ' angel'. I moan something to her and she says, " Ok mister bubbles. after we say hi to the nice man."

The Plasmid

9 Years Ago

Ivan: Like it had taken me years to do, it took Jack some time to register what exactly ALPHA was when the big daddy showed back up from the darkness. Not only that, it took the surfacer perhaps more time to figure out the Little Sister riding upon Alpha's back. Regardless, with care it seemed, almost as if we were starting to get along in this god forsaken place of a city, ALPHA came as well as went from my sight with no trouble. Alpha finally stumped away after a while, giving Jack some space to recover his breath and following the Little Sister who kept talking about angels like every other sister around.

I really had no explanations for Jack whenever he shot a question in my direction. Truth be told, even with how long I'd been down here, I didn't understand half of the things about Rapture myself. What I did know was survival was guaranteed by experience and thankfully for jack, I had plenty of experience to share about our rather dangerous environment.

Despite my voiced warnings to him about the stuff, my first objective with Jack turned out to be attempting to locate a Plasmid for him to use. Such an item - a creation of the Little Sister's that changed DNA to allow elemental/supernatural powers to be used by hand - had been clarified already to Jack by Atlas over the radio back in the Bathosphere. And if a Plasmid would help jack survive Rapture - which it would, most definitely - then we needed to find a... Little Sister Garden.

The Little Sister Garden was something of a slot machine, mind. That or a vending machine, put better. It stood out from the environment enough and within a half hour of walking, I came to discover a garden for Jack to use. The better part about our discovery was that it was actually broken open and we managed to find one last vial of an unlabeled plasmid inside.

"You sure you want to try this stuff?" I wondered of my fellow, handing the looted plasmid over to Jack slowly, "I mean, Atlas did inform you of the, well... effects it can cause on your body, right? You take a dose of that stuff and there's no going back."

"As long as it... As long as it will help me get through this place." Jack answered rather bravely, using a needle to extract some of the plasmid, "What kind of plasmid is this? Do you know? Have you ever taken one of these?"

"I don't know, actually. There's no label, my man. And no, I'm no splicer. I'm good the way I am without plasmids." I stated, feeling unsure about everything all of sudden, "Look, if you want to use that plasmid stuff... go ahead. But I'm good right here. I don't need lightning shooting out of my fingers or fire in my palms."

"Is that what plasmids do for you? That sounds incredible."

"So you say now." I lectured, shaking my head, "But wait until you see how the splicers have abused the stuff. You can never let that happen to you, Jack. You can never let yourself get that addicted. But there's always that chance of falling into addiction so... I've never dared a plasmid."

"Either way, I feel like I have to do this. Just make sure I don't go all crazy, okay?"

"If that's what you want. I'll be the guardian here." I admitted, shrugging, "If you;re going to take the plasmid, bud... Just do it already."

Jack ended up sticking himself with the mystery plasmid. In turn, even with myself prepared, everything went completely to crap. At first, it seemed like Jack was handling the plasmid changing his DNA. Then, he began to glow sharp blue, cry out in pain, hold his head in his hands along with convulse.

Me, I couldn't do anything. I was no doctor. I was no miracle man. All I could do was observe and realize why I hadn't ever stuck myself with a plasmid needle. Then, with a final yell, swinging his arms around his head, Jack literally exploded into a flashy, electric ball of energy. The resulting shock wave blasted me off of my feet and when I hit the floor hard on my head... my world became darkness.

9 Years Ago

Alpha: I follow my little one to a red headed girl who seemed to be sleeping. She wasn't like the Splicers in that she didn't seem to be mutated. I grunt at my little one and she understood that this person wasn't an 'angel' and, disappointed pouted and wanted me to carry her. I comply and put her on my shoulder. My grunt seems to have woken the girl as she was pointing a gun at me. I put on my drill and growl inhumanly at the girl.

9 Years Ago

Lianna Rose: I narrow my eyes at the man standing in front of me, I held my gun steadily, pointed at him. " Who the hell are you?"

9 Years Ago

Alpha: Unable to respond the little one of my shoulder talks for me. " This is daddy. Now don't be mean or you'll end up like the angels." I put the little one down and stand in front of her, growling at the girl as a warning. Then the little one pipes up again. " Hey, daddy do you think the nice man will want to see this one?" She asks and I grunt softly to which she responds, " Okay after this." 

9 Years Ago

Lianna Rose: I lower my gun slightly, but hold it firmly just in case. " After what?" I ask the child.

9 Years Ago

Alpha: The little one flinches at her voice and hides behind me leg. I growl at the girl once more, but the little one answers. " After daddy knows if your going to hurt me or not."

9 Years Ago

Lianna Rose: I put the gun in the holder. " I won't hurt you unless you hurt me." I tell her

First Page first
Previous Page prev