Review Exchange! : Forum : Good God, did I write that? O_..

[reply] [quote]

Good God, did I write that? O_o

9 Years Ago

We've all been there. We have the best idea for a story ever and we write it. Then it's the bets thing we've written so far. Unfortunately, a year or so later we go back to read it and just think, "Oh God, why?" I just had that moment tonight while I was reading a fantasy story with Princesses, Castles, Magic, and a secret civil war, a young hero forced to rise to the occasion, and the "impossible romance". 

Don't get me wrong, I like the premise still but reading HOW I wrote it just made me want to burn the papers and hide away in my closet until the world has forgotten about its existence, the world meaning me. But there is an upside to this tragic moment in our writing lives. Want to know what it is? You do? Seems weird you'd trust a young, inexperienced writer like myself but OK!It shows us how far we've come as writers. I often question if my poems or short stories are becoming better. I don't see the difference  right off the bat. 

The story, almost literally, has to collect dust and be forgotten for a while. So you go on with your life making more stories and whatnot then one day, while you're cleaning your room or office or where ever, you come across a dusty little story that you barely remember writing. Then you read it and your memory starts coming back of this ingenius story... wait... did you really write that? Yes, that right there? Was it really necessary? Did you really just spend the last 3 pages explaining things you barely understand before moving on with what was supposed to be going on? Seriously? You misspelled the word 'Princess' and used the wrong 'there'. 

Maybe it's just me whose clumsy enough to make every writing mistake in the book with such an incredible story idea, but I'm sure we've all looked at our own writing (at some point in time) with fresh eyes and realized what could be better and what could be taken out then put back in. So go ahead and write that incredibly legendary novel or short story, my fellow writer. Forget about what grammar is. English is complicated anyways. Besides, it's the first draft of a story you probably won't see again until next year when you're wiser, smarter, and more experienced. So their!