Sci-fi & Fantasy Group : Forum : Chat chat

Chat chat

9 Years Ago

Just a general thread for introductions to kick things off. Share what fields or genres of writing your into, where you think your writing is at, and see where discussion goes from there.

I'm currently focusing on short stories in a contemporary sci-fi style. Only have two so far that I think are worth sending out and a few others that need to be completed, edited, etc.

Someone asked in the WebDip thread what my experiencing with publishing has been. I have not been published yet, just sent out copies to online magazines. I'm also gearing up to send out some stuff to more local written magazines but the turn over on those tend be so long. You almost send things out and completely forget about it, sometimes never hearing anything at all. Online is definitely easier to break into, especially if you're just trying to get published for the first time, but there's still a pretty decently high bar set and pay is slim. 

A lot of people are moving to the Amazon self-pub method but I think, unless you got a good collection of work to put together or a really solid full novel that isn't being accepted anywheres else, then it's nothing more than a vanity press and not worth the time. It's mainly a difference of quality vs quantity. Amazon is good if you can crank out a bunch of work and charge cheap for it and make your name that way. But I find if you're trying to go for quality then the traditional publication methods (contests, magazines, etc.) are still the best way to build up your name.

Just my perspective, would like to hear other thoughts