Sharing Knowledge Of The Written Word. : Forum : A mishap in Writerscafe.org

[reply] [quote]

A mishap in Writerscafe.org

16 Years Ago

I have started this thread in hopes that some of us can talk about the simple "mistake" that turned into a virtual catastrophe in the Cafe.

I know some of us are leaving the Cafe due to a simple mistake of Charlie's. But what we all need to realize is that WritersCafe.org is brought to us for free and Charlie and others spend a whole lot of time bringing us this very useful tool of reading, reviewing and conversing about literature. I am one of the Cafe's  old 'timers, as I have been a member for a couple years now. Since joining, my writing has evolved and progressed extremely.  

I will admit that I was very upset to find out that my poetry and stories were deleted. I just about threw a hissy fit stomping my feet and cussing like a sailor. But what will stressing on it get me? Nothing but stress. It will not bring my writings back.

So, I am here ready to ban together with all of you, sharing ways of recovering lost work. Sharing feelings about what was lost and moreover, sharing inspiration to carry on and not let this get us down.

In the grand picture of things, I am grateful for WritersCafe.org. In my opinion, it is the best formatted site of its kind.

A LITTLE TIP: When dealing with anything electronic, know that  these things can happen. Save your work in several places from now on.

God Bless
Imogean~
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I was lucky, I was completely backed up.  I write everything in OpenOffice before posting here.  Ok, I lost a few corrections, but nothing significant.

Another Group I'm in has some running threads as well as some tips about restoring.  Here's the url: 

I was locked out, too, but the moderator of that forum got me going again.  My profile settings were corrupted.

Anne
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I'm not bothered by it in the least; I was in the process of removing my work from here slowly as it was. Now I just have to wait for the google cache to get flushed (which may take a very, very long time).

For me, it was a matter of Aresta, essentially, losing their first digital publishing rights.

Quote:

Content Submitted or Made Available For Inclusion on The Service

Aresta Enterprise does not claim ownership of Content you submit or make available for inclusion on the Service. However, with respect to Content you submit or make available for via the Service, you grant Aresta Enterprise a perpetual, irrevocable, world-wide, royalty free and non-exclusive license to use, distribute, reproduce, modify and publicly display such Content on the Service.

Now that they dumped their SQL database and lacked any physical backups, they have lost their only copies of said content. Not that it removes their license to my work, but it severely limits their ability to do so. =)

That little catch in the ToS was pushing me towards not wanting to post content with regard to it possibly hindering the publication of said work. I'm peachy now. It's not like I won't post anything; I'll probably post a few things from Hobson's Choice after a given period of time.

So, I am, for all intents and purposes, pleased. I don't particularly feel any sympathy for people who viewed the site as some sort of filing cabinet for their work; that's what your harddrive is for. I've lost plenty of work, on occasions too numerous to mention, and been rather steamed... it all works itself out later. You'll probably end up with something better anyway.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I am a little ticked, but not too much. I saved most of my work there are some that no longer exist, some really good peices. I tried very hard not to write a rant about it but today - it didnt happen.

I wrote a message to Charlie - not sending it to him just ranting:

Charlie, Charlie, Charlie....

It has taken a lot of energy for me to keep me from doing this rant but the force is too strong to hold back, I guess. I'm not very computer savvy to have a website with over 20,000 users, if they still exist after your severe mistake. But something just doesnt make sense in regards to the almost apocalyptic events that occurred within WritersCafe.

I would think it would have been wise to have a backup copy of the database and anything of importance -- for instance, the heart and souls of your users, which you so diligently erased. Or maybe a message with something along the lines of Are you sure you want to do this action? No? Well, I'm hoping that you've learned and are now doing so, if not -- I strongly suggest you do so.

I'm sure there are a few who think your story is a conspiracy of some kind. I just don't care all that much. I've recovered most of my work but am still disappointed that some no longer exist.  By the way, your Google solution really didn't do very much. I still have lost work, Google can't find. However, it is my fault for not keeping a back up copy myself on my own computer.

I'm trying to stay sweet and innocent about this, knowing that it is a one man show in running this website. You got a little bit of consoling out of me, but don't get comfortable with it. You are human and you are allowed to make mistakes - but you must also learn from the mistakes. Take responsibility for it, and TRY NOT TO DO IT AGAIN in the near or distant future.

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

If anyone is having trouble locating their work. They can send me the titles and I will try to retrieve them. I have done so for several people and will for anyone. That includes Rain who in a fit of pique has me blocked. You can let him know, after that is what friends are for.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Jonah sed:

>Now that they dumped their SQL database and lacked any physical backups, they have lost their only copies of said content. Not that it removes their license to my work, but it severely limits their ability to do so. =)

What is this about? Someone BESIDES Charlie dumped this stuff? Where can I find out more about this bit? Where can I find out more about who 'owns' or 'runs' or is responsible for this website?

As I'm less concerned about losing posts than I am about the competence of the people who did this. If you are interested in my supporting a website, you don't lose my posts.

Feedback appreciated.

Heather

wordwan, participant in too many website routines, like this.

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

It was either Charlie or Patrick.  I think Charlie owned up to it, but he might have been taking collective responsibility.

It's sensible to keep copies of your own stuff, but what the writer was concerned about was that by agreeing to the terms and conditions, we grant them license to use our writing without asking.  It's intended to cover their promotion of the site as well as the online presentation of the material, but it isn't limited to that, and is open to abuse.  We are trusting them not to misuse it.  As we retain copyright, however, misuse might not stand up in court, as we can revoke that license at any time.  They didn't purchase our material.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

The nearly 20 years nightmare...

After spending countless months in preparation, I began what I had hoped was my epiphical moment of prose to launch me into literary immortality. Reality was, it was my first work greater than a few pages, BUT it was an excellent story line. My harshest critic at the time, my eldest sister the voracious reader, was sucked into the story and couldn't wait for my next addition. Sixtyfive pages into the story, catastrophy. Harddrive crash without a back up. :(

I was so devastated by the loss, a storyline I have been yet able to restart, that I forewent writing altogether for nearly 20 years. Excepting for some emotionally inspired venom poetry ... some women have brought out the worst in me ... and the world in which the story was created still running rampant through my brain, I quit writing period. Until this site.

I read through a few things. Put out a few things. Essayed about a few things. And found my 'muse,' if you would allow it, once again. Now I write the cinema that plays through my head. Several pieces have been inspired ... or motivated ... by what I have read from others' work. I owe a debt of gratitude for this free service provided by the Kronsor brothers. I do hope through their advertisers this site it cost effective to remain a via entity for writers like myself.

Hats off! Salute!

The moral of my nearly 20 years nightmare is this. Make multiple back ups ... hardcopy or electronic ... but make multiple back ups of your work. I find a removable harddrive or flash drive works best has hidey holes for data to be stashed and relocated from the main source.

Cheers! And keep writing!

Doc.

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I am back.  I was on of the ones torn when I found out that all my work were deleted!  For me, I've spent years gathering my writings and ideas and finally after putting it off, deciding to go for it.  I have to thank Legacy and the other writers who sent me emails asking me about my work and getting back into my writings again.  I've started posting and this time have backed up everything!  I am glad to be back writing and a place to come and grow in my art.