Short Stories : Forum : The decision whether to write ..

[reply] [quote]

The decision whether to write books or short stories.

8 Years Ago

I feel like the feedback for my short stories is better, and that my writing is overall stronger when I write short stories, but I enjoy writing books even more. The question is, how do you make the decision which direction to focus on in your writing. Has anyone made that decision before? 
[reply] [quote]

Re: The decision whether to write books or short stories.

8 Years Ago

yes i did take a decision but couldn't deal with it so far. i think your main focus should be on short stories and as you feel better about your skill level and feel like you are prepared and much more experienced then you should go on for books (although i know you are more than skillful) that's my view on it. as i have experienced a tough time writing a book too early.....the book i have been writing is still in the middle phase....
[reply] [quote]

8 Years Ago

This is a really good subject. I remember when I started writing poetry and lots of people liked it, when it came to writing my first short story I was still stuck in that poetry phase because that's wat I was known for but I wanted to expand, now I am writing 2 novels but I believe people will tell me to stick with my short stories, what I'm trying to say is while you evolve in writing people will follow so if they give good reports on short stories now, later on they will wind up in your books because they have to adjust. Don't let it be a barrier, you should enjoy you writing be it stories or books. I would love to see your books and even though they are harder to judge and read because of length books have something stories can't have, variation and detail. So I hope this helped. In all people are lazier to read long paragraphs but people like me like that. And remember a story can be further developed into books as reciprocal. On focus? It all depends on what attracts you most but I would say further develop those book skills.
[reply] [quote]

8 Years Ago

that's a very good advice... i think it's about going out there, you have to give it a go otherwise you'll never know....i have working on it and i hope i would get feedback from you... im really bad at editing... the most beautiful thing you said is that short stories can be turned into books.... thank you for your lovely and uplifting thoughts....
[reply] [quote]

8 Years Ago

Your welcome! I will look forward to reading your stories and even book! And if you ever need assistance (though I am not a great or perfect writer) you can always message me.
[reply] [quote]

8 Years Ago

Thanks guys! Those are some very helpful and incisive points! I have a hard time with focusing and I was worried I would put my energy into something that I would not be as good at.
[reply] [quote]

8 Years Ago

I started out when i was much younger writing small stuff in the six grade but I didn't understand. In highschool i filled a whole notebook of dark scifi story then something happened I was also a artist and put down the pen and started to draw and learn. then in the late 2000 I decided to write poetry and still do... From their I would start to write as well and now i am full circle writing short stories or parts of a longer one but i ran into a problem. My short stories are now wanting to be novels or just longer and i have several short stories that will be better longer. Not sure if anyone here is experiencing that but I am. So i bought a 100 in books on how to write plots and books like the writers guides and here i am now joining writing groups and will attend writing workshops...sorry got carried away 

I will read your stuff anytime you want I am not a editor or anything but will do my best and the best feedback 

Chuck   
[reply] [quote]

8 Years Ago

Thats awesome man, I will be reading your stories as well, I am in need of a review on a story I just wrote, Its new and different in my style of writing it is a tad long and I dont know if that is good or bad since most people shy away from longevity but its called Undead Flower, its different because its about a culture I read about based on hinduism, so if you want you can, you dont have to but the help would be awesome. and yes, you have joined the right group we here help each other out alot, as for the books I too have bought some 2 good books I have bought are structuring your novel work book and outlining your novel work book, later on I will buy the other 2 they are by K.M. Weiland, I advise these 2 books they are helping me out alot for novels and book writing.
[reply] [quote]

8 Years Ago

That's very interesting Mr_Goth. I think a lot of creative writers are artists in different mediums as well. I personal, paint, sketch, work with clay, and love photography. I have days where I can't write, but I can draw, and others where I can't draw, but I can write.

It's nice to hear about someone who is developing their skills!

I think you should just go with the flow on your writing, if you start off writing a short story and it turns into a book, that's a lot better than starting off with an idea and saying, this has to be a book, then coming up short on ideas.
[reply] [quote]

8 Years Ago

I have started taking writing seriously not so long ago, but even this early I have faced this dilemma. I currently have two ideas for books that I plan on writing. The first, I began to write and then stopped, for some reason (but I mean to continue, in the future.) The other, I began writing no so long ago, but I made a mistake. Until then, I only wrote short storys. I could write a short story in a day, but although I prefer writing books because of the detail and the extended plot, I wrote it too fast. I guess I expected it to be done in a day, like many of the short storys / poems that I wrote. Facing the fact that it would take a lot of time was hard for me, not because I wouldn't like to put time into writing, but because I just want things to be over, to be complete.
Nonetheless, I plan on writing these two books, as I like their story and plot very much, especially of the second one, which I feel is my 'baby.' I think I might discard a lot of what I wrote of it, because... I don't really like it. It was written in a sort of rushed state that is not good for my writing process.
On the other hand, I have my short storys. Every time I write another, I am amazed by myself (not to sound arrogant) by the depth I am able to reach in my short storys (see my short story 'Sanity,' which I am really pround of.) The advantage of short storys, in my opinion, is that they are to the point, concise and don't take a lot of time to write (in my case.)
But, books are a whole world. Books give you something more. The mistake I made was trying to combine the advantages of both. I tried writing a book, but I was too rush. I am going to fix that and write it properly.

What I am trying to say (and get carried away) is this: shorts storys are one thing, books are another. Don't get me wrong, books can be based on short stories and vice versa, and in the case of both my books, I considered writing a short story instead, but found it too lacking. I am saying that if you choose to write a book, make sure you give it time, because it is a much more complex constuction. Don't do the mistakes that I made. Good luck :)