So You're Writing a Novel : Forum : reviews/critiques

reviews/critiques

12 Years Ago

This always comes up eventually, so I thought I'd start the discussion.

What are you looking for in the way of feedback on your writing?

Please answer this question so other members of this group will know how to review/critique/whatever.  (It would also help if you say something about that in your author's notes, but I know a lot of people ignore those.  *sigh*)

I ALWAYS proofread when I review.  I know that the common advice is "proofread LAST," but I assume that if you're posting your writing for other people to see, you've already done as much with it as you're capable of doing on your own.  (Yeah, I know your book is your baby - so do the kid a favor and wash its face and comb its hair before you send it off to be seen by strangers, okay?)  I also fact-check, so if you're writing sci-fi or fantasy especially, I'm going to point out any errors like saying that the thing running down the center of a sword blade is called a "blood groove" or that there are no planets in this galaxy except Earth.  If you don't want these kinds of issues addressed, this is your chance to say so.

Re: reviews/critiques

12 Years Ago

Originally posted by Weaver
...(Yeah, I know your book is your baby - so do the kid a favor and wash its face and comb its hair before you send it off to be seen by strangers, okay?...

This made me giggle.  Great question for clarification!   Personally, I'm focusing on my character's voice.  Since it's written from 4 points of view, my main concern surrounds the distinct separation between each character.  For example, if Will sounds too much like Lita (which is prevalent in earlier drafts), he starts to sound gay (not that I'm against homosexuality in any way, shape or form, but Will just plainly is not gay).    I'm also concerned with plot and setting development, so any comments on that certainly help!  I'm pretty sound with my grammar, minus a few typos, but if anyone catches anything, that's cool too.   As long as it's put in a non-dickish way, I appreciate any words of wisdom or advice, though I may not always follow it.

12 Years Ago

I'm paying attention to the crime/mystery aspects. It is another detective, ME story, but the only big difference is that I'm trying to make my character somewhat bitchy. I'd like to know thoughts on how the investigation is going, and if anything doesn't make sense, I need to get back to it. Grammar, for me, is usually down pat, so any corrections would be nice. Over a course of a few months, I plan to start nitpicking on the medical parts, the autopsies. Of course, if anyone knows anything, I'd love to hear it.

12 Years Ago

When people reveiw my works, I want them to look mostly at the idea of the story itself, is it fun, is it exciting, and how can I make it better? However, if people were to review the novel I'm writing, then I want them to tell me if I'm writing too fast for the suspense, as it is supposed to be a horror novel, and what I can do to improve the suspense or even make the chapter longer. Also, if anyone gets confused while reading my novel, please tell me, because I am writing it as I know everything about the character, and you don't, and I do want the reader to feel like they're getting to really know the character.

12 Years Ago

i would like nice constructive reviews,thats all . 

12 Years Ago

Originally posted by brenda
i would like nice constructive reviews,thats all . 

That's what everyone wants, but we don't all have the same definition of "constructive."  Could you clarify? 

12 Years Ago

When (if) people read my novel (I'm always afraid to let non-writers read my work so not many people do haha!), I like to hear more about the content than grammar and such. Sure I'm worried about if I use something correctly, but that's really later. Right now, I want to know how my story is sounding and if it's bringing the reading in, if it's going too fast, etc. Thanks!

12 Years Ago

well i mean constructive like tells you what is wrong what can you do better but nicely

12 Years Ago

well i mean constructive like tells you what is wrong what can you do better but nicely

That's what everyone wants too. Do you want like Grammar assistance? Spelling? Plot? Character development?

12 Years Ago

Originally posted by Special Agent Fafa

That's what everyone wants too. Do you want like Grammar assistance? Spelling? Plot? Character development?

THeres a reason I'm quiting the reveiw buisness x.x

12 Years Ago

Unfortunately, this isn't what everyone wants.  Taken a look at the typical reviews on poetry here lately?   But it is what reviews ought to be:  point out what needs work without being mean to the writer (it isn't mean to say "You changed your verb tenses here and here" - it IS mean to say "What kind of idiot would keep changing verb tenses like this?"), and also tell what is good the way it is.

12 Years Ago

no Autumn i mean not everyone is born to give reviews and i know so i have a friend like that but i was just asking for you to review nice i mean weaver does that and he stil reviews constructively withouth i know you said sorry in your review but like i was saying withouth being mean even if you said sorry and ok its your way of expressing your feelings then do what you always do cause i admit i suck at grammar i am not really good at giving reviews but i was just asking for nice reivews even if you said sorry which i forgive you but keep in mind are you really helping that person by reviewing like you do to keep pn writing ?

12 Years Ago

yeah thats what i mean thats exactly but i want and like you said i dont want to be called why are you so idiot to suck at grammar i just want reviews like you give and many others cause not everyone can do that

12 Years Ago

Originally posted by Special Agent Fafa

charcter development i suck at grammar plot yeah i need help on that one

12 Years Ago

yeah thats what i mean thats exactly but i want and like you said i dont want to be called why are you so idiot to suck at grammar i just want reviews like you give and many others cause not everyone can do that
    I get what you're saying, but unfortunately, if you're serious about writing a well written book, you need good grammar.  There is no way around it.   Since emotion doesn't translate well over the internet, many writer's, //especially// beginners and tweens and teens, telling them that their plot has gaping holes and their characters need a lot of work translates into, "Your story sucks and it's not as good as mine."  I've been thrown down and run over so many times because I've left a truthful, honest, "look, you have a good //idea//, but you're executing it completely wrong" review.   If your reviews and critiques aren't too strong, it might be an indicator that //you're// not catching things in your own writing.  Ask a lot of questions, and find someone you trust who REALLY knows what they're talking about.  Or find several people.  My younger sister has no grasp of general, elementary grammar, but she knows how teenagers act and talk.  She tells me when I have continutiy problems, and points out how things might be lame.    We're here to help, but if you're not giving good reviews, it might be time to enlarge your grammatical knowledge, that's all.

12 Years Ago

Originally posted by Lou Briggs
    I get what you're saying, but unfortunately, if you're serious about writing a well written book, you need good grammar.  There is no way around it.   Since emotion doesn't translate well over the internet, many writer's, //especially// beginners and tweens and teens, telling them that their plot has gaping holes and their characters need a lot of work translates into, "Your story sucks and it's not as good as mine."  I've been thrown down and run over so many times because I've left a truthful, honest, "look, you have a good //idea//, but you're executing it completely wrong" review.   If your reviews and critiques aren't too strong, it might be an indicator that //you're// not catching things in your own writing.  Ask a lot of questions, and find someone you trust who REALLY knows what they're talking about.  Or find several people.  My younger sister has no grasp of general, elementary grammar, but she knows how teenagers act and talk.  She tells me when I have continutiy problems, and points out how things might be lame.    We're here to help, but if you're not giving good reviews, it might be time to enlarge your grammatical knowledge, that's all.

well ok fine then all m asking just look at my writing and tell me what you think that is all

12 Years Ago

Here are the things I look for when I review. I usually hope (forlornly) that I receive some of the same.

Grammar, spelling, and punctuation - I'm sure we all hate this part (except maybe Weaver) but it is a necessary part of creating a professional manuscript. If the mistakes get in the way of communicating the message, it isn't ready to share. Since Weaver shreds mine before I post, I doubt anyone will find much here. Please don't give me incorrect grammar fixes. I hate it when someone tells me something that is patently wrong.

Please remember that you don't ALWAYS have to find fault - I've seen people review a work and say they didn't see anything wrong with it, but since they are 'supposed' to find errors they then rip something they actually liked. Why in the name of any of the gods would you do that? If you don't have anything negative to say, talk about what worked well for you in the story.

Be specific - point out exact lines/phrases that worked or didn't for you. Say why. 

And please do not correct someone's facts without double-checking them yourself - All too often I get a review that tells me I got a particular bit of science is wrong, but doesn't give any reason as to why the reviewer thinks that. I do a LOT of research. I assume all serious writers do. I don't mind people saying they think something might be wrong 'are you sure?' but don't just hit them out of left field without proof. That said, don't hesitant to share a bit of wisdom or knowledge when reviewing. 

Do the characters sound like real people? And I don't mean that they have to sound like modern americans, because they do not. Do they sound like living, breathing people for the setting they find themselves in. (Or dead people if that's your thing)

Did the manuscript get eaten by a Thesaurus? (Terrible creatures those) Does the writing contain words that don't quite work right? I see people using words picked by the thesaurus without checking to see if the word really does mean what they think it means. <= insert Inigo Montoya joke here.

12 Years Ago

Originally posted by Paul B. Spence
Here are the things I look for when I review. I usually hope (forlornly) that I receive some of the same.

Grammar, spelling, and punctuation - I'm sure we all hate this part (except maybe Weaver) but it is a necessary part of creating a professional manuscript. If the mistakes get in the way of communicating the message, it isn't ready to share. Since Weaver shreds mine before I post, I doubt anyone will find much here. Please don't give me incorrect grammar fixes. I hate it when someone tells me something that is patently wrong.

Please remember that you don't ALWAYS have to find fault - I've seen people review a work and say they didn't see anything wrong with it, but since they are 'supposed' to find errors they then rip something they actually liked. Why in the name of any of the gods would you do that? If you don't have anything negative to say, talk about what worked well for you in the story.

Be specific - point out exact lines/phrases that worked or didn't for you. Say why. 

And please do not correct someone's facts without double-checking them yourself - All too often I get a review that tells me I got a particular bit of science is wrong, but doesn't give any reason as to why the reviewer thinks that. I do a LOT of research. I assume all serious writers do. I don't mind people saying they think something might be wrong 'are you sure?' but don't just hit them out of left field without proof. That said, don't hesitant to share a bit of wisdom or knowledge when reviewing. 

Do the characters sound like real people? And I don't mean that they have to sound like modern americans, because they do not. Do they sound like living, breathing people for the setting they find themselves in. (Or dead people if that's your thing)

Did the manuscript get eaten by a Thesaurus? (Terrible creatures those) Does the writing contain words that don't quite work right? I see people using words picked by the thesaurus without checking to see if the word really does mean what they think it means. <= insert Inigo Montoya joke here.

see! thats what i want to ! weaver, special agent fafa what paul just said it is what i want when my writing gets reviewed !

12 Years Ago

Originally posted by Paul B. Spence:
 I see people using words picked by the thesaurus without checking to see if the word really does mean what they think it means. <= insert Inigo Montoya joke here.
    Ha, lolz.

12 Years Ago

Originally posted by Paul B. Spence

see! thats what i want to ! weaver, special agent fafa what paul just said it is what i want when my writing gets reviewed !

Geez, I can't read your mind. 

First Page first
Previous Page prev