So You're Writing a Novel : Forum : "Stay on target" - I mean, "to..

"Stay on target" - I mean, "topic" :)

12 Years Ago

Actually, this is so we can talk about all kinds of random stuff without derailing the 'serious' discussions in the other threads.

----------------------------------

Special Agent Fafa said:

Ya for mindless chatter!
:D

-----------------------------------

If I want mindless chatter, I talk to my cats.  Although that's more accurately mindless chitter... :)  And not actually mindless - juniper cats are weird but smart.  One of 'em taught herself how to play fetch, or rather, she trained her human to throw a stick whenever she brings it to him.

And speaking of the benefits of chatter... Yesterday, a random joke made by a friend set off an idea for a funny story, and I woke up this morning with the beginning of "Kitten Noire" in my head:

Of all the chairs in the house, she had to be sitting in mine.

I walked into the office and closed the door.  "Hi ya, Doll."

"Mrrwww."  She curled up, turned her back to me and put one paw over her eyes.

"Yeah, I figured you'd say that.  Come on, Doll.  Be a sweetheart and let me sit at my desk."

Doll is gorgeous, a lithe grey tabby with pale green eyes.  Her sister Dame is cute but looks nothing like her - long-haired tortie with gold peepers that make her seem a little crazy.  Of course, with Dame it's true.  They say one in four cats has schizophrenia... and Dame is all four of those cats.

"Vrrrp?"

Speak of the devil kitty.  Dame had just come in through the cat flap in the door that separates my office from the rest of the house.  I like to keep work apart from life, but cats... They hate closed doors.  And mine are convinced that Biped Tom (that's yours truly) can't even make a phone call without feline supervision.

Besides, I could be ordering pizza.  It was only ten in the morning, but a smart cat takes no chances.

"Hrrrrr."  Doll greeted Dame and sat up, both of them staring at me.

*shrug*  I'll probably never do any more with it, but it was fun to write on this rainy day at the zoo.  Something to type other than "period, not comma, after" a thousand times.

To sum it all up, "mindless chatter" is good for creativity.  Yay!

Re: "Stay on target" - I mean, "topic" :)

12 Years Ago

It was mindless chatter that got me the idea for Hide and Seek, my best book so far. What hasn't mindless chatter done for us? I bet it was mindless chatter that started the Constitution.