So You're Writing a Novel : Forum : Courses

Courses

12 Years Ago

If I created a course, would anybody follow, depending on what the course encompassed?   Or rather, what would you like to learn or strengthen?

Re: Courses

12 Years Ago

I'm more interested in things like setting, character and plot than in the basic mechanics of writing (I've got that part covered, I think).  The one thing I have the most difficulty with is knowing how much detail and explanation to include, and the generic "avoid info dumps" advice is useless.  What is an info dump to one reader is insufficient data to another. 

12 Years Ago

I looked around at the (of course, dead), courses, and it's basically just a bunch of a******s, describing the book that they only want to read.   I want to start a beginner course on novel planning, character creation, and world development, but I'm not sure how "beginner" I should go - I know some people here REALLY want to learn, but their biggest hindrance is their young age.  Still, if they can get the help the need early, it //should// speed the process somewhat.    But then I'd like to do a slightly more advanced course - "Okay, I have the idea, the characters, and the setting...how do I make this as kick a*s as possible?"    I'm just wondering who would be interested.

12 Years Ago

I think a lot of people would be interested. I would be, I know that for sure. I like my idea, my characters, and etc, but knowing how to make it awesome would be...awesome! It could be a group effort, y'know. :D Who's in?

12 Years Ago

Originally posted by Lou Briggs
I looked around at the (of course, dead), courses, and it's basically just a bunch of a******s, describing the book that they only want to read.   I want to start a beginner course on novel planning, character creation, and world development, but I'm not sure how "beginner" I should go - I know some people here REALLY want to learn, but their biggest hindrance is their young age.  Still, if they can get the help the need early, it //should// speed the process somewhat.    But then I'd like to do a slightly more advanced course - "Okay, I have the idea, the characters, and the setting...how do I make this as kick a*s as possible?"    I'm just wondering who would be interested.

You may need to do both, a basic course for beginners (you and I both know that there are people setting out to write novels who haven't yet mastered the esoteric art of using end punctuation) and a more in-depth one for writers who are ready to move past "This is a plot, this is a protagonist, any questions?" Or better yet, you could write the basic stuff at the top of each lesson, and then go into more depth for more experienced writers. That would make it easier for each person to decide for themself how much of this info they're ready to tackle. (Is this making any sense at all?) Example:  a lesson on character creation. Start with an explanation of what a character IS, the protagonist, the antagonist (and why they're not necessarily the "villian"), the 'supporting cast' characters and so on. Then, in the latter part of that lesson, you talk about how to make a fully developed character, how to make sure a character is the right person for the role they've been given, how to discover the little things that make a character new and interesting, all that stuff. (And here I thought I wasn't feeling talkative today... *shakes head*)

12 Years Ago

I like the idea of starting with the basics and moving to more advanced stuff in the same lesson - like a gradiant.  I just don't want this to be for nothing.  I have no problem working on a "lesson plan", if you will, but I do mind if it won't be appreciated. 

12 Years Ago

As previously stated, there are obviously going to be people who appreciate what you're doing. And, then, there will be people who don't care.
So, yes. I would try out on lesson and see how many check it out.

12 Years Ago

I'd be down for the course too - just to let you know another person is interested. :)

12 Years Ago

Personally I would be all for following a course like that. Granted, I might put my skills up on a pedestel when it comes to just having a knack for writing, but I know there's plenty of areas I need improvment on. Grammer for one, though that is more touching up on a few select areas more than anything. Spelling is usually one of my strong points, and if I can't spell a word, hell, Mirriam sure can. Character developement I have a foundation in, I just need to actually focus enough to competely create one singular character at a time. I have a habit of stopping work on one character and moving to a completely unrelated character on impulse whenever an idea hits me.