Surreal-zine : Forum : What is Surrealism?

What is Surrealism?

12 Years Ago

For those of you wondering what Surrealism is about check out this Wiki page for a good synopsis of the movement in the arts.           The movement was based in Paris in the early part of the Twentieth Century. It was a means of expressing the subconscious. Below is the definition from Andre Breton's Surrealist Manifesto, he is one of the key founders of the movement.             Dictionary: Surrealism, n. Pure psychic automatism, by which one proposes to express, either verbally, in writing, or by any other manner, the real functioning of thought. Dictation of thought in the absence of all control exercised by reason, outside of all aesthetic and moral preoccupation.

Encyclopedia: Surrealism. Philosophy. Surrealism is based on the belief in the superior reality of certain forms of previously neglected associations, in the omnipotence of dream, in the disinterested play of thought. It tends to ruin once and for all other psychic mechanisms and to substitute itself for them in solving all the principal problems of life.           The movement still has relevance today. From comic strips of superheroes,to film, painting, the performing arts, in prose and poetry in many different genres, and dare I say even Harry Potter touches upon this diverse word.      If your interested in reading the  earlier works of Surrealist poetry travel here:                      If you have a favourite Surrealist writer, either contemporary or earlier, in prose or poetry, share the link. I'm sure many of us would enjoy your enthusiasm for their work.     And don't forget the many wonderful surreal writers on the Cafe. You'll find outstanding, and accomplished creative souls that wait to be acknowledged and reviewed.       if you would like to join the group or know a WC writer who would  be interested, please apply or just send me a message, and I'll be glad to invite them.         Got any suggestions? I'm listening! : )             Thank you for joining! ~Venetia                    

Re: What is Surrealism?

12 Years Ago

Well so much for formating! This post is a messsss! lol Hope you can all read it. My appologies! x ~ Venetia