The Cultural Uprising : Forum : Sexual Objectification in Medi..

[reply] [quote]

Sexual Objectification in Media

10 Years Ago

So here I am with another thread involving the media.  However, I've zeroed in on a specific issue with the media:  Sexual Objectification.  I found inspiration to post this from a Ted Talks video about the subject posted here:

Feel free to watch it and include your thoughts in the response.  Anyway, here's my input on it.

First of all, I believe that the sexual objectification of women in the media creates a lot of damage to our society in ways most of us probably don't noticed until it's pointed out.  Like I've mentioned in my last thread, women are made to believe a lie that beauty comes from material things.  In this case, women believe a lie that the ultimate goal in life to find a desirable mate is to become a sexually-desirable object.  

To me, it's just another method of degrading women.  I mean, even the term itself illustrates such:  "Sexual OBJECTification".  It's the act in which the media degrades women into objects and nothing more; a fuel to the fire of sexual desire.  In multiple advertisements, many women are depicted in provocative positions, or even as items themselves that very rarely have any relation to the actual product being sold.  To me, I find this damaging not only to the female audience who feel pressured to meet this standard, but to society who fall into such a belief that this is what women are made for.

Now as a humanist, I don't agree with such tactics.  Why should either men or women be depicted as nothing more than sexual objects?  Why should we have to live in a society that puts so much value in sex instead of focusing on more important matters?  I don't know about you guys, but I'd really like to find a way to begin a revolt against all this sexual objectification.  Whether it's creating a literary work and collaborating with other writers who would create works of the same theme, or writing a petition and obtaining support in general, I believe that this issue can be solved starting right here in a group determined to help change the harmful aspects of our culture.

Please feel free to respond.  I respect all opinions.
[reply] [quote]

Re: Sexual Objectification in Media

10 Years Ago

I totally agree with you. Recently, Kraft put out an add for an Italian salad dressing featuring a nearly naked man covered in little more than a tiny portion of a checkered tablecloth and the public outcry over that particular add has been ridiculous. Yet when Carl's Jr. puts out an add featuring two (very) scantily clad women feeding each other a juicy hamburger, it's perfectly acceptable. I'm sorry, but it's not. Frankly, I don't see why either side has to be used in such a disparaging manner. It's almost as if the media is trying to desensitize us. Unfortunately, they might be succeeding.