The Group For Creative Writers : Forum : What would happen if....

What would happen if....

14 Years Ago

...I made a new thread?
Would people post in it?

I'm just curious....

Maybe if I asked a question or something.
Alright, what's your first scary story you read? Or remember reading.

Mine is a story I read when I was just a kid in school. I know I was just a little kid. I don't know how things work now in school, but way back when I was just a young'un, we'd get to pick a story and there'd be a bunch of little kids surrounding this little hexagon of a table. You know, everything for little kids are miniature. I remember it was fall and the sky... well, it was a Canadian autumn sky. Grey in all four directions.
  On the east side of the room there was windows. I know that sounds a little less descriptive than I should be able to tell, but I'm that little kid in my mind right now. Windows and more windows. The windows where behind me because I was kneeling on the floor waiting for the story to start on the record player. I was one of the kids lucky enough to get the big couch-cushion sized headphones for once, the ones with the plug that seemed to be so massive.
  There was this little block with many holes in it, we'd all plug our headphones into and the teacher would put on a record. I remember the texture of that thing too, it was a suitcase with a record player in it. How cool is that? The outside was rough like a linoleum floor. I remember that linoleum floors sucked for playing cars or marbles on. For the recorded audio version, there'd be a stack of books and we'd all get one and eagerly wait for the hissing headphones to tell us the story.

I remember flipping through the pages along with the narrator... what I remember now is probably a whole lot different than what the book actually was. A story about a haunted house, the story teller brought the reader through the house trying to find the source of a ghostly noise. Turned out, it was a ghost trapped in a bottle in the basement.

How ultimately brilliant is that? Even now, when I think about it, I can still geek out about it. I remember that story used to scare the holy hell right out of me, but I'd listen to it again and again. Man, talk about eerie. Now that I'm older, how did that ghost get in the bottle? Who trapped it in there? And why in the hell would they want little kids to go wandering through a haunted house to FIND the source of a horrible ghostly wailing?