The Novel Exchange : Forum : Publishing Help :D

Publishing Help :D

15 Years Ago

Please post any suggestions, links, or advice if you have experience in publishing novels.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Umm usually these days you need to have an agent. Otherwise some publisher won’t even look at it. Only 1% of submissions (or something like that) get published; your chances go up if you have an agent. If you don't want to give up around 15% of the royalties then you could always try to self publish but than again not a lot of people read those books. Self publishing won't get your book out on the shelves of a bookstore such as Barnes and Nobles or Borders, but it still can be sold online.

Oh and this is what I usually heard: most editors do not read the entire story. By the first 1000 words or so, they decide whether to publish it or not. So find a list of publishers and send it to them, look at publishers according to their genre (so if you are publishing fantasy fiction, do that). Keep doing this because chances are you would be rejected many times before you get published. Try to make your first 1000 words interesting.

Make sure you get your story copyrighted before sending it to publishers. Do this at as of now it costs $45 dollars. Until than, use a 'poor man's' copyright. Simply e-mail it to yourself with the copyright sign ( (c) can be found in the 'symbols' section of Microsoft word) and your first and last name (real name, not pen name) in the footer. Keep in mind, the poor man's copyright offers some protection, but very little compared to the other option.

Many big-time publishers will not publish you unless you've already had an official publication (this does not count a poem in the paper or a newsletter!). And keep in mind, some authors who are now best-selling got hundreds of rejection slips before being published the first time!

Oh and try a book called Writer's Market it has all of the publishers, their genre they publish, and some other stuff that might assist you.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Yeah I'm aware of the publishing process, I posted this thread just for info for everyone. I use the novels and short stories writers market to pick contests to enter. I haven't finished my novel so I haven't really attempted the process. I dont' think I'll use an agent though.

Anyway.

How is your work going? Have you published anything or entered any contests.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Cool, than if I need help on the process and I'm serious about it than I'll ask you about it. Right now I'm not planning on publishing anything, my writing skills aren't good yet. You mean contests here or contest that would actually publish your work if you win?

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Writers Market for novel and short story writers lists all publishers of each genre as well as annual contests with cash prizes etc.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Oh wow, I didn't know that. Cool! I look for the book later. Have you entered into any of the contest yet? Or won anything?

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

I entered a short story last year and didn't place within the top 10 but It wasn't any of my best work so I'm not worried. I'm waiting until 09 to get serious about entering my novel.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

I would recommend an agent, I haven't got one as of yet, but it's on my list for my next step once the first five chapters gets polished.

Self-Publishing is okay if you chose to to all the 'leg' work.  You have to run your own Ad campaign if you go the routes of Lulu or others.  The other companies that charge you also get your book out there quickly, but the cost is all yours and seldom does the revenue out weigh the expenses.

I've been researching this for years.  I currently am using 2008's Guide to Literary Agents, a book I recommend. 

Another thing that helps you've also touched on is getting published and also networking.  Get short stories into contests as you've already spoke of.  Get them into anthologies. Networking is a plus too, get your name out there, get it floating around the net.  I have my own webpage, plus many other social & writing sites....

MySpace.com, this one, Freewebs, Facebook, writingroom.com, storiesville.com, just to name a few.  Blogging helps, Forums, etc..., both agents and publisher like to see this.  Promote your novel and your writngs.