The Storyboard : Forum : !-Need Help For Character POV-..

[reply] [quote]

!-Need Help For Character POV-!

14 Years Ago

So, I have a slight dilemma: I'm writing a story from the third person limited POV, but I can't choose which character to narrate from. My two choices are between the main character, whom the story is basically about, or his fiance, who knows more of what is going on in the present storyline than in the main character's past. Also, the fiance's perspective is biased, so it would leave readers unexpecting of what was to come, but also give me a chance to do some great foreshadowing. Although, the fiance would be hard to carry from one event to another...I'm really confused as to which one to choose. Any ideas?
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

I've read several novels that switch POV throughout chapters and keep the third-person.  My personal favorite, though, is when the POV of the main character is in the first-person, but in subsequent chapers it switches to the third to tell the stories which will later impact the main (first-person) character.  I know nothing of your story except what you've said, but I've also read successful stories with multiple first-person POVs.  Harder to accomplish because you have to create different voices, but the payoff would be sweet.

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Me need a good character for a story about a Cat. all i need is the CAT!. HELP ME PLZ
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

The best thing about being the writer is that you have control over the world you write about.  I had the same problem with my book Pandora, my focus was on the main character but there were times when she was literally stuck in a jam and it was what was happening else where that the reader/ or I wanted to experience so I flipped back and forth.  First chapter first person main character, second chapter third person so that I could be with any of the other characters that I wanted, ie go where the action was or to build more on the main character.  (I may have confused it, I still get mixed up on the first and third person stuff)  Either way at one point I am the main character it is her thoughts and sights that you experience and then able to touch into everyone's life to better explain everything.   The only really hard part was keeping from going to she said when it was I said.  Took a lot of proofing to get that sorted and I can't say for sure that I got them all.  The other thing is to let your story live, start it with who ever and then follow the promptings that you feel, you may find that it is more suspensful to stay with one character and the feelings of the others or the events that occured will eventually unfold.   If your best friend is hiding something, you may notice odd things but until the secret finally comes out you deal with the thoughts and reactions you have based on what you do know.  That is life, don't steal it from your characters.  Most readers are looking for an escape, when I read I want to feel and see what that person is experiencing, sometimes you lose too much if you try to give too much.  Let your character and your reader experience.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Hedgehog:    What do you need the cat for????