The Structured Poetry Group : Forum : Poet that's inspired you most.

[reply] [quote]

Poet that's inspired you most.

17 Years Ago

Hey everyone,
Just wondering what poets you'd either recommend, or who you just enjoy reading (though I think that goes hand in hand). As for me, I think Shakespeare is the best to get the meter down. He has a great flow in his sonnets that is hard to duplicate. However his rhyme schemes are all the same. I also like reading W. B. Yeats every once in a while, as well as Ogden Nash.
For the most part I'm more of a novel reader, poetry writer. I don't know how that worked out, but it happened.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I'm really inspired by Theodore Roethke. I don't think it gets much better than "I Knew A Woman". I also really like Kim Addonizio. Her poem "What Do Women Want?" turned me into the poet I am today. Oh! And Carl Sandburg!
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Carl Sandberg is definitely awesome. My favorite though would have to be Edna St. Vincent Millay. There's just something about the way she writes and the imagery she uses that tugs at my heart and tosses me into whatever emotion she wants me to feel at the time.
I also love Pablo Neruda, Robert Frost, E. E. Cummings, Ogden Nash, Edward Gorey, and too many more to list.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

William Blake - Ogden Nash - Robert Service & Dr. Suess. As for female poets, Pauline Johnson.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I must say that I have been influenced by Edward Lear and Ogden Nash.

Sigmund Freud also influenced me, as he is the one that encouraged free writing, not that there is much structure associated with Freud.

JB

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5